BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm currently riding a Honda Shadow but am looking for a distance touring bike as retirement approaches a couple of years away. I started looking at BMW after seeing Long Way Round a while back. The 1200LT appeals to me, little smaller than a Goldwing and in my opinion better looking.

I'm in Canada, just north of Duluth, Minnesota so am looking at purchasing used in either Minnesota or Wisconsin, no dealers are even close to my area in Canada and there really aren't any BMW's in town. I'm sure other Canadians have bought south of the border and I'd like to here what duty rates if any were applicable and also any other paperwork required to import a used bike.

Thanks in advance. Good friendly board you have going here.

Ron

·
Registered
364 Posts
itspossible said:
... no dealers are even close to my area in Canada
That would be a concern for me. But if you're mechanically inclined and don't mind waiting on the delivery truck for parts, go for it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hi Ron,

Welcome aboard. This forum is probably as good as any for your question(s), but you may also try posting under the Canadian forum here. Post might get moved cuz it's a duplicate, but can't hurt to try :).

-Richard

itspossible said:
I'm sure other Canadians have bought south of the border and I'd like to here what duty rates if any were applicable and also any other paperwork required to import a used bike.

Ron

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome Ron. The closest dealer in Minnesota is Moon Motors in Monticello.
Great folks there. What year are you look for? I'm about to trade in my 1999 LTC, and the dealers are offering $6000, with 55,000 miles on her.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rjwittig

Thanks, I've been looking at this dealers inventory on the net, they seem a good candidate and I'll keep checking to see what comes in.

I'd love to purchase an LT for $6000 but I must admit I am looking for something with a few less miles, I do appreciate your offer. What colour is your bike? if I see it come into their inventory that will give me an idea of their markup.

Regards

Ron.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts