BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a 1999 k1200 btw with 67k miles on
It. Good tires, says it runs great. ABS light flashing after changing battery. $3500 firm. It looks like new
in the picture. My question is with 67k on it is it worth it. How well do these bikes hold up. Or am I asking for trouble. This is the first bmw for me.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
It. Good tires, says it runs great. ABS light flashing after changing battery. $3500 firm. It looks like new
in the picture. My question is with 67k on it is it worth it. How well do these bikes hold up. Or am I asking for trouble. This is the first bmw for me.
Price sounds high to me if the ABS has trouble. That alone is a $3000 fix potentially.

The LT is a fantastic, two-up, luxury touring bike. I would say the best ever. That is the good part. The bad part is it is maintenance intensive and expensive.

I think there are two types of happy LT owners:
1. Those who are wealthy and don't mind paying the dealership $1,000 - 2,000 a year for maintenance and repairs.
2. Those of use who buy aftermarket parts when possible from reliable sources like BBY and do our own work. We trade 40 hours a year of time for the $1-2,000.
:smile:

If you are not independently wealthy and need dealer service, you likely will not be a happy LT owner.
:frown:

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
67K is not a lot for an LT but I would be wanting service records. Find out what upgrades or maintenance has been done on clutch, transmission seals brake lines ( Spieglers) and final drive.

Take a look at Kirks DIY videos to see the level of involvement required for maintenance on this bike and see if it is something you want to engage in or not. Dealer service is expensive and so is a new ABS module.

https://illinoisbmwriders.com/

If you are good with a wrench, they are wonderful bikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts