BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, as you know I'm new here. First time posting. Been a lurker for some time and have enjoyed every thread read.

I'm looking for a preowned k1200lt. Any pointers such as which years to prefer? I'm 6'7" and know I'll have to lower the pegs and look into the seat. I have to do this with all my bikes. Any long legged riders out there with advice?

A couple I plan to look at this weekend.

2000 BMW K1200LT, Basalt Grey K1200LT Custom, six disc cd, ABS, new windscreen, 29K miles, original owner, all records, intercom, new tires, very good condition…$9200

2001 BMW K1200LT, perfect cond, blk on blk, 28k mi, all service records, ABS, 6 disc CD, cc, heated seats/grips, alarm, PIAA lights, cover, always garaged, a must see, flawless, $9,000

Thanks for the help and advice!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Id look for an '03 or newer due to changes in various items like linked braking, rear end bearing complement, etc. The "C" version has a great balance of options as well like heated seat, grips, CD changer, chrome, etc.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
I love the Integral brakes on the '02 and newer bikes. Some people don't. The '03 and newer bikes had less problems with rear drive bearing failures, but it's a simple enough thing to swap out if needed. The '05 bikes have a bit more power and a few other changes, but seem to have some clutch issues (usually fixed under warranty). The earlier bikes are still excellent, and the prices are pretty good too.

Suburban machinery makes a bolt-on set of adapters to lower the pegs, though you will give up some cornering clearance. Also some folks have had to adjust their shifter and brake pedal, but that's easy enough.

If you're going to modify the seat, try Bill Mayer Saddles. He's close to L.A. and does excellent work. There are a few other after market seat vendors listed in our FAQ who also come with excellent references.

Good luck with your search, and let us know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Have any of you heard of having the seat modified such that my ass would be further back or away from the bars? Or even raise the seat height or even both, back and up? Then a tall windshield. Long legs and long arms.

I like the idea of suburban peg kit.

If I was 5'7" instead of 6'7"....flying coach would be less miserable, driving anything but a suburban would be possible and having any motorcycle I want would be so cool.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
powerman5kw said:
Hey folks, as you know I'm new here. First time posting. Been a lurker for some time and have enjoyed every thread read.

I'm looking for a preowned k1200lt. Any pointers such as which years to prefer? I'm 6'7" and know I'll have to lower the pegs and look into the seat. I have to do this with all my bikes. Any long legged riders out there with advice?

A couple I plan to look at this weekend.

2000 BMW K1200LT, Basalt Grey K1200LT Custom, six disc cd, ABS, new windscreen, 29K miles, original owner, all records, intercom, new tires, very good condition…$9200

2001 BMW K1200LT, perfect cond, blk on blk, 28k mi, all service records, ABS, 6 disc CD, cc, heated seats/grips, alarm, PIAA lights, cover, always garaged, a must see, flawless, $9,000

BMW of Hollywood has a loaded 2004, Black, CD changer. Very LOW miles. You could get it OTD for $16k.

I checked cycle trader / auto extra for used cycle inventories.

For new machines, I took a liking to West Valley Cycle Sales (Winnetka). I could have gotten a lower price at a mega dealer, but the small, family atmosphere of this shop really sold me!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know where you can get an '04 that is in really great shape and at a great price. I know the guy who owns it so I know that it has been well maintained.

If you are interested in more info, please send me a PM.

·
Registered
104 Posts
the 2001 is the best

just the braks integral is werst i heed befor my 01 a 99 end i dont like it i think thet its beter for you to bay the 01 you will love it very much

Attachments

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
At 6,6 I feel your pain.
I just picked up a barely used 05 LT myself. Traded in my 05 R12RT which I had fit with SM's peg lowering kit and a Rocky Mayer seat. This worked out for me.
Don't you just get sick listening to those riders that complain about bikes being to tall? At least they have about a zillion other bikes to pick from. We normal heigth guys have very few. :D
I spoke with Rick Mayer who called my back after I e-mailed him some questions about a new seat. He told me that it is a very common modification to make the seat taller and to reduce the lumbar thickness with thinner, denser foam to give us more leg room.
He and Rocky sent me material samples to see how they match up with my grey seat.
I am going to have the seat made before I make any other changes.I have a used,heated seat enroute from Beemerboneyard.com as we speak.
I had ordered the SM peg kit but cancelled because I like the peg/lever relationship as is. I will reconsider after the seat change.
I am not sure where to measure the shield from but mine is what the dealer called "standard" at 17"s. in the center. I need a taller one for cool weather and am researching that now. For the summer I may retain this "standard" one.
Good luck in your search. (05s and 06s have some worthwhile features ).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Unless you have specific preferences in breaking systems or power any of the LT's are a great choice regardless of year. If the price is right and you like it go for it. If you go with the early years there are a couple of items which may have been upgraded under warranty such as comm systems, skid plate (missing on early bikes), and Motronics with hesitation issue to name a few. If these items were dealt with by the previous owner that will add to your joy.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Oh no, not them!!!

jayjacobson said:
BMW of Hollywood has a loaded 2004, Black, CD changer. Very LOW miles. You could get it OTD for $16k.

QUOTE]
I wouldn't buy anything from these a$$holes...!:mad:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
mjordans2000 said:
If you go with the early years there are a couple of items which may have been upgraded under warranty such as comm systems, skid plate (missing on early bikes), and Motronics with hesitation issue to name a few. If these items were dealt with by the previous owner that will add to your joy.
According to Honda of Hollywood the skid plate is something you have to buy as it is not covered under warranty or recall...:(
Then again we are talking about Honda of Hollywood...:mad:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have to chime in here - I know you have had problems with BMW of Hollywood fixing your '99, but their service department has done nothing but bend over backwards for me.

I purchased my '03 from them new in July '03. I had a vacuum hose problem within 70 miles and my shift-link broke within 500 miles. Both times they offered to come and pick-up the bike @ no-charge (I live about 55 miles away - & I took them up on their offer for the linkage).

They have done all my service (have about 28K miles) - they manage to cover as much as possible as "warranty", and most recently they even replaced my foggy windshield - all I had to do is email them a picture - they ordered it and when it arrived they called and I went that day to have it installed. Almost forgot - my oddiments case lock broke and they fixed that, too. (about a 2 hour job - requires taking off a lot of tupperware). They even found forks for my '87 Ninja.

I have had a very positive experience with them - fwiw......

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
zippy_gg said:
jayjacobson said:

QUOTE]
I wouldn't buy anything from these a$$holes...!:mad:
Yes, I WAS NOT impressed, either. That's why I bought NEW at another dealer, instead of USED from them.

That being said, the bike was in excellent shape with very low miles--and the price was right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do the handle bar have some adjustment on the K1200lt? I cant see beyond all the plastic covers, is there something down there to move the bars apart and up (furrther away from the tank)?

·
Registered
123 Posts
rglassma said:
Id look for an '03 or newer due to changes in various items like linked braking, rear end bearing complement, etc. The "C" version has a great balance of options as well like heated seat, grips, CD changer, chrome, etc.
I believe you mean 2002 or newer !!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Buying a used LT

I just bought a used LT with 13K on it. Look hard at all the little items that may be damaged or missing. A latch clip for the gas fill cover costs $50. A broken seat latch costs $45. A full set of brake pads from a dealer push $200. If the trunk latch is broken on one side the other side is going to break...costs $335 if your willing to do a ton of work to replace it or in the $600 - $800 range for a lower trunk from a dealer. If you have a set of highway pegs and you're missing a stop bolt or bent pivot bolt a set is $50 for a replacement set. The speedometer is way off, the gear shift is like stepping on wet dough, the clutch is very mushy and takes some getting used to. Everything on an LT costs like it's gold plated and the bike is not easy to work on. I find the suspension is very soft, we live in Northern California and have lots of very twisty rough canyon roads, the stock suspension leaves you throwing sparks with any kind of lean on the bike. A new after market suspension is going to cost you $1200.
However the bike is great for two up riding and has all the comforts of home.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
tomandmelanie said:
I just bought a used LT with 13K on it. Look hard at all the little items that may be damaged or missing. A latch clip for the gas fill cover costs $50. A broken seat latch costs $45. A full set of brake pads from a dealer push $200. If the trunk latch is broken on one side the other side is going to break...costs $335 if your willing to do a ton of work to replace it or in the $600 - $800 range for a lower trunk from a dealer. If you have a set of highway pegs and you're missing a stop bolt or bent pivot bolt a set is $50 for a replacement set. The speedometer is way off, the gear shift is like stepping on wet dough, the clutch is very mushy and takes some getting used to. Everything on an LT costs like it's gold plated and the bike is not easy to work on. I find the suspension is very soft, we live in Northern California and have lots of very twisty rough canyon roads, the stock suspension leaves you throwing sparks with any kind of lean on the bike. A new after market suspension is going to cost you $1200.
Tom, before you pay dealer prices you may want to check out www.beemerboneyard.com for used parts such seat latch, etc...
I buy EBC brake pads from www.chaparral-racing.com and pay around $100.00 for the 3 sets (2 Front, 1 rear). The speedo is about 10% off, but you can find info on the fix in the technical section and do the work yourself.
The question is: how much work are you willing to do yourself?
Not sure what you paid for your bike... but a very low price could be an indication of the extend of work to be done and parts to be replaced.
Take it one step at a time and don't hesitate to ask for help on this great forum with specific questions. Chances are someone has gone through the same thing and is willing to share his/her experience!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
tomandmelanie said:
--------------- A latch clip for the gas fill cover costs $50.
It is only $15.50
--------------------------- The speedometer is way off,
But easy to fix
the gear shift is like stepping on wet dough,
Mine sure wasn't
the clutch is very mushy and takes some getting used to.
You have to slip it a little on start out, but it will snap you back in the seat if you shift hard in the other gears
Everything on an LT costs like it's gold plated and the bike is not easy to work on.
Then you sure don'w want an Italian bike! Much worse.Check prices for a Ducati, Aprillia, or Moto Guzzi!
I find the suspension is very soft, we live in Northern California and have lots of very twisty rough canyon roads, the stock suspension leaves you throwing sparks with any kind of lean on the bike. A new after market suspension is going to cost you $1200.
Yep, but you did buy a Luxury Touring bike, you just cannot expect it to be like a sport bike, although the LT comes as close as possible for a 843 pound full tourer.
YEP!

·
Registered
181 Posts
powerman5kw said:

I own a 2005 LT and at 6'7 / 275 I think I can give you some advice.

The bike came with XL-JPegs - I like them but don't love the high position they put your feet at.

The Four Best Tall Rider Items I have added so far:

1. Suburban Machinery Driver's Peg lowering kit. Good for the knees.

2. **** O Pegs Model K12N - The best thing for a tall 36+ inseam rider. Really relaxes the hips and knees.

3. BakUp drivers backrest - I would and could not travel long distances without the back support.

4. I raised the seat to the highest setting and added an Alaska Leather Sheepskin Gel Pad - Raises me up a few inches for over-all leg room and comfort.

This set up has allowed me to ride 200+ miles without discomfort. I read about riders going 600+ miles, but at my height I just don't expect any bike to fit like a glove. This is pretty good though.

The last "tall rider" thing I want to add in the future is a Ceebaileys Windshield #2 with wings +2. With my size and seat configuration, even at the highest setting, the top of the windshield is at my chin.

If I didn't have a busy job and a wife and kids to answer to, I would also ride my ass to California to visit Rocky Mayer or Russell Day-Long and get a new seat built for me.

Good luck and I hope you find a great bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts