BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , looking to maybe buy a 95 k100lt with 25k on the clock . I have a K12LT with 196K , just wondering if the K1100lt is as stiff in the corners as the new one. concerned if it will sway in the 70mph sweeper like my honda shadow did . any other things I should know about the older K's

thanks
mark

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
zzkvsl said:
Hi all , looking to maybe buy a 95 k100lt with 25k on the clock . I have a K12LT with 196K , just wondering if the K1100lt is as stiff in the corners as the new one. concerned if it will sway in the 70mph sweeper like my honda shadow did . any other things I should know about the older K's

thanks
mark
Don't expect the same superb handling that the 12LT has. The 11LT has old style telescopic forks and rubber mounted handle bars. They don't feel as planted as the 12's. It's also a much taller bike (seat height)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Prior to getting the 2005 1200 LT in 2008, I had a 1993 K1100 LT for thirteen years!! Wife and I travelled all over Canada, and quite a bit in US ( eastern states) and also pulled a camper with it for 5 years.

I found the bike was excellent for two up ( need a new seat for both, Corbin was a good choice), was a little underpowered for two up and pulling a camper but was one great bike!!!

Changed the oils and filter,tires and that was it!! This is what a FD was supose to be built like!!
Once we did a few day trips with the 1200lt, I decided to sell the 1100lt. It was a sad day when the NEW OWNER came by to pick her up!! ( teared up while she was loaded in the trailer and left the driveway!!) Should have tried to make room in the garage for her.

I thought she was one great BMW without the issues!!

Good luck with your purchase!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mines 94 with 190Ks on the clock. Never ridden the newer models so I can't answer your question re cornering. They are a good bike for their age. It handles OK for me 1 or 2 up and over the mountains. It tends to duck a bit on bouncy hard cornering but other than that just hang on and let the bike do the rest.
Biggest drawback I found as has been mentioned previously is it is a very tall bike and very heavy to pick back up again. I am rather short and once it starts to go there is not much I can do about it except pick it back up again.

Issues I have had other than maintenance.
I have had final drive tail shaft and clutch seal problems but all good now. The PO also had final drive tail shaft issues, about every 75K's
I have had issues with the windscreen brackets breaking and the headstem bracket breaking at the bolts where it bolts onto the bike. I have had mine welded up a few times.
Overall for it's age a good old plugger and a joy to ride.
If you buy it get the right tires for it as I have used other than metzlers and it dos not like them much. (Bridgestones better wear but not so good on the handling)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Michelin Macadam's work very good on the 1100LT also. They last longer than the Metz and handle nearly as good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 95k1100, I purchased a Corbin seat helped getting you lower. I felt that it handled fine. Traded it in 8/09 for a 03 K1200 that had 13000 on the clock. I love it and the wife really loves it more then the 95 comfort wise. I still have the corbin seat if anyone is interested in a good deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts