BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the issues that I should beware of when I go check out this 1999 K1200LT? What are the major improvements comparing to a '07?

Thanks,

Caliber

·
Registered
371 Posts
Stay away - nothing but trouble!!

I'm not familiar with 07's, but I got a 99 in January. Major problems:

- Productivity. This has dropped significantly for me. For some reason, regardless of weather, I'd rather be riding. Or sneaking out and staring at the bike.
- Marital discord. This is the weirdest: after many years of being laughed at by the SO when mentioning a bike purchase, now we battle if I mention selling it.
- Home projects in serious decline. Esp. on sunny days. See "discord" above.
- Privacy issues. People forever coming up to where I parked and asking questions. Or worse, calling me "Luke" and asking about the "Force". Whatever.

Anyway, good luck to ya...

·
Registered
339 Posts
All depends on how the bike has been taken care of, mileage really doesnt mean much if the bike has been properly serviced. If it runs good, looks good, stops good, and the price is right...GO FOR IT !!!

One of the most amusing things about my '00, is that people think I'm telling them a fib when I disclose the age of the bike.

Maybe the biggest thing to look out for is the ABS, is it working or not ?

Just ask alot of questions about the bike, clutch condition, shocks, electrical problems..all these issues should be disclosed by the present owner, and if it is a dealer bike, I would ask to talk with the previous owner.

Dont shy away if it needs a few service items, all bikes do at one time or another, and ALL the advice you need can be found here !!!

:bmw:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have a really good look underneath the engine.

Look for signs of leaking oil. Main seals and transmission seals leak and unless you are a competent spanner man the cost of repair is high. Eventually the leaks contaminate the clutch.

The bike takes a little getting used to and may seem cumbersome at very low speed. You'll soon get used to this. Show it who's boss and it'll leave you grinning from ear to ear. Don't be afraid to rev it hard. They love it. The handling is brilliant for a bike of this size and weight.

Good luck

BDC

·
Registered
558 Posts
The new LT's have more power, are supposed to handle better, have a hydraulic centerstand and look a little different.

With the 99 I would check to make sure the clutch isn't slipping, there isn't a leak around the rear end and that the ABS is working. Any problem with any of those could be expensive.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Do your Homework

For me, I'd be reading this forum diligently.

I may even bring it to a dealer to look at (presuming a dealer isn't selling it).

Has a weep hole been drilled? Who has done the maintenance? Any warranty issues, etc.

I'm sure there are many 99's performing flawlessly, but, first model years are a risk. Manageable risk if you do your homework first.

Then go and RIDE IT TO THE DIRT! :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Other than buying my 2003 LT instead (see classifieds), I can't think of anything to stop you from your purchase.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
99 vs. 07

The 99-02 has a nice relaxed overdrive top gear compared to the 07. Some like it and some don't. Also, the 99-02 gets a few more mpg and is happy on midgrade gas. One guy I know runs regular.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings Caliber

I have a '99 LT here in Australia. It's been nothing but well manered, totally reliable, comfortable, quiet, quick and an absolute joy to ride. It came with an early GPS system, cassette deck, CD stacker and beautiful Champagne coloured paint. I've turned over 50,000km on her and see no reason what-so-ever why you can't share a similar experience.

Go with your gut feeling and not with some of the paranoia you read around the place.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
AU

E: [email protected]

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a '99 for about a year and a half now and absolutely love it. She has behaved very well. I would say go for it and enjoy!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a 99 that I have put 25k on myself and must say there is nothing like it. The more you ride the more you will like. I would look for oil leaks. These bikes should not leak at all period!

·
Registered
401 Posts
99 vs 07

sigpe57 said:
What are the issues that I should beware of when I go check out this 1999 K1200LT? What are the major improvements comparing to a '07?

Thanks,

Caliber
A '99 well maintained should be about $7000 and an '07 new is about 3x plus as much!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts