BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying my first BMW and am looking for some input from people that are knowledgable.

What I'm looking at is a 2000 R11000RTP. It was a police bike that was actually put together from the best parts of two bikes the original owner bought at auction. I've seen the bike & heard it run. It passes the eyes & ears test. What I'm more interested in is your take on the miles versus price factor.

It has 85k on it and the owner is asking for $3600.

I know this isn't a lot to go on but I'm hopeful that you all can provide some good insight.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I had a former CHP bike, same year and about the same mileage. Final drive self-destructed a year later, so I'd definitely check that.

Price sounds decent if it's in good shape, I'd try and talk him/her down a bit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I bought a 99RTP A year ago for $3175 with 51k and for another $325 converted it to a standard RT. I have put 10,000 miles on it since then and love the bike. My only expense has been a tire, and oil changes. If you are capable of performing your own maintenance then offer $3000 in CASH and I bet you drive it home with a big smile. -John

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
FWIW, I like the 1100's.

I had an R1100R as well as an R1100S. I wish the "S" bike was still here. I tried to buy it back from the guy I sold it to but he was not as stupid as I was to sell it in the first place.

The "R" bike had 56k miles on it when I got it it and ran very well. No issues at all but then again when I got it I did a complete service including alternator belt and fuel filter.
If you get the bike these things will need to be done as well as the regular oil and filters plus air filter, final drive, transmission drain and lube then check all the brakes for wear. The 1100's are fairly easy to work on so if you are mechanical you can have a lot of fun. If you are a take it to the dealer kind of guy- you can look forward to at least $1,000 just to get it where you can be confident it is ok. Shocks... at 85k they will be toast if they are the originals. If they came off another bike with unknown miles then you will never know. Shocks will be in the $1500 range and if you ride like these bikes are made to ride- then you will want good shocks- for safety if nothing else.

The bike will have a rebuilt or salvage title. This can be an issue for you in resale so factor that into your purchase negotiation. It is not a trivial thing.

Now I am going out on a limb. If he is asking $3,600 with just the salvage title thing alone- I would offer no more then $3,000. Of course in cases of love and motorcycles things can get all out of whack....

Of course I do not know your budget but trying to get into a BMW on the cheap is fraught with peril. It is one of those pay me now or pay me later deals. If you know what you are doing, and what you are looking at then things have a great chance of working out. If you are new to the bike game, and new to BMW then I suggest caution. I strongly suggest finding an enthusiast in your area who can look at it with you and render an honest opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts