BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evening Chaps,

With my 3 year old halvarsson advance gloves finally becoming unusable in the wet weather due to the liner coming unstuck, I have to think about a new pair of gloves, which is a shame as those gloves were a huge surprise to me and considering they weren't gore-tex, they never once leaked and were so damn comfy in almost all seasons until it got into both over 20*c and under 5*c, if nothing else, Scotland knows how to test gear and the scandinavians know how to make good gear!

So once again I am going back to gore-tex as the warranty is a huge deciding factor for me due to having to use it several times in the past and gore-tex never once having an issue and replacing/refunding me with no quams.

I am looking for a gore-tex glove that is between summer and winter so a 2.5 I guess? Will do down to almost heavy winter and will do up to summer weather, similar to my halvarssons.
Ideally have insulation, visor wipe, knuckle protector and will work well with the heated grips, whatever makes the shortlist I will have to try on as I have relatively wide hands with relatively short fingers for a guy, meaning gloves are a real pain in the arse haha.

I was looking at the rukka virium but they don't have insulation, so I am not sure how they would do on long, cold rides on the RT, usually the coldest I go down to around 5-10*c ambient, obviously take away another 10 for wind chill but we do get along of wind protection on the RT1200 LC, however I haven't had it for long enough to find out how it would do with gloves with no thermal liner.

Previously I had Halvarssons Advance
Alpinestar Jet Road (too bulky inside and out)
Alpinestar Tech road Old versions back in 2013-ish (2 pairs, loved them)

Any recommendations are welcome, looking forward to what you guys advise.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have you looked at BMW’s GS Dry Gloves. They are Gore-Tex & I have ridden in heavy rain for 3 + hours and never leaked. With heated grips they are good down into the 30’s F. They fit like a glove;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
My two gloves are - Held Air n Dry, had two pairs, one replaced under warranty at the 2 year point, always been 100% waterproof, but not a winter glove. Bought a pair of Rukka Apollo gloves a couple of months ago, they have been 100% waterproof and are leather, I don't wear non leather gloves. I ride all year around (Blood Biker), so I rely on Gerbing heated gloves when it really gets cold. Up to now, the Rukka have been warm enough.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Booger, the gs dry gloves look fantastic if I am honest, well priced and well specced, my only worry is their durability during colder weather ie 10*c and lower due to them not having any insulation.
You say they are good to 30f, is that ambient or indicated on the bike?
How are the backs of your hands and your finger tips at that point?

Casbar, the held gloves certainly appeal to me as the bmw 2 in 1 gloves are basically copies but with a badge.
From the reviews I read, they weren't particularly good in the cold and thr warm, rendering them useless to their purpose, I see people commonly using them in their 'cool' position to get better heat from their heated grips and more thickness on the backs of their hands.
The apollos also look good (I had looked at the viriums but their lack of insulation left me unsure of how they would do in the cold), I would prefer at least a semi textile and leather as full leather is difficult to dry out and well, I am in Scotland, I have to be realistic haha.
Kudos on the blood biker once again buddy (y)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
The All Around glove sounds like it would do what you are looking for.
On sale at Bob's - 2018 BMW Allround Gloves | Bob's BMW
I rode in this morning at 6c. I threw the all arounds in the tank bag, but put on a pair of uninsulated gloves which were fine with the heated grips.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LE
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The All Around glove sounds like it would do what you are looking for.
On sale at Bob's - 2018 BMW Allround Gloves | Bob's BMW
I rode in this morning at 6c. I threw the all arounds in the tank bag, but put on a pair of uninsulated gloves which were fine with the heated grips.
Haha yeah, Casbar is correct, I reckon Bob's stuff may be slightly out of my reach 🤣

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
They ship. Don't have to get them at Bob's.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Haha yeah, Casbar is correct, I reckon Bob's stuff may be slightly out of my reach 🤣
They may ship but living in the US, you obviously have never had to get stuff delivered to Europe. By the time we have paid, shipping, import duty on the item and postage, then VAT and handling charge, it is really expensive. There will be plenty of options in Europe to purchase gloves :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
@muffin: A little late to this party, but FWIW I can recommend these two, both of which I own and wear, and which might suit your needs:

1) Waterproof and Very Warm: Knox Winter:

Product page: Zero3 MKII Winter Gloves - Knox

Review in webBikeWorld (of an earlier version): Knox Zero 2 Gloves Review

Toasty, not too thick for winter gloves, and very well made. Not as flexible as non-winter gloves, of course, but not as bad as some others I've owned. Reasonable armor.

Additionally, having worn gloves (some years back) with separate waterproof liners, I absolutely refuse to wear gloves with sort-of-sewn-in liners that can pull out when your hands get wet, and otherwise frustrate the wearer. These are not like that.

2) Waterproof, Warmish, but Not Insulated: Reax Ridge WP

Product and review page: REAX Ridge WP Gloves - RevZilla

Review in webBikeWorld: REAX Ridge Waterproof Gloves Hands-On Review

Except for the hottest or coldest of days, these are my default gloves for the last couple of years. Not insulated, but warmish. Reasonable armor. And waterproof, without a separate pull-out liner or anything like that. Well-made, and very comfortable.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Held (brand gloves) has many choices and finger lengths. In the UK the Visor Shop has them and you can do your work via mail. These are quality items.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts