BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone have an idea how to make some real horsepower from 2009 LT. I have a need for more power of the line and low end. :bmw

·
Registered
832 Posts
Buy a GT.
Really, what mod is going to take you from 100 HP to 150?
BMW added 10 HP during the 2005 upgrade and there is not a whole lot of difference. Most of us feel the power is pretty good for an 850 lb. touring bike. Let the higher rpm's and transmisson work for you when you need to kick it in the butt.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your LT.

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
It already makes 'real' horsepower. 100hp is nothing to sneeze at. Remember, it weighs about double what a sport bike weighs.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Slim1500 said:
Dose anyone have an idea how to make some real horsepower from 2009 LT. I have a need for more power of the line and low end. :bmw
Yes new cams, head porting, new valves, seats, guides, a new exhaust, new clutch, bigger domed pistons for higher compression, and something to control the fuel with.

Good luck with all that. I think pre 05 you could swap cams out of another BMW model, get a Rhinewest Chip, and exhaust. But I don't believe there is anything after 05 to do. No one makes anything to control the fuel map, like a Power Commander or similar. So if you can get it bumped up from the other work, not sure how you would control fuel mapping. And while a second 02 bung and a fuel sniffer will tell you your fuel ratio, still no way to control it.

Just hang on a few more months and the New LT should give you what you crave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking into a turbo for this bike. I am to big for the GT (also the LT). At 6'4" and 340lbs not much more of a bike to get. I have a Mr. Turbo on Vulcan 1500 now. I love the bike and was looking for the superior ride handling and stoping of the BMW. They will not make a Turbo kit for the LT as of now. Might have to make a winter project out of this bike.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Anyone ever fog an LT?

(no guarantees for engine longevity)
:crazy:

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
The '05+ LTs have 115 hp. My long trips, 2,000+ miles, are all 2 up and the power and comfort are what I expect for a luxury touring bike. If more power is 'needed' then I say "make the GT work for you".
Just my .02

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you want to do forced induction you will probably have to cheat the ECM. I have seen superchargers that added an additional injector which was controlled by the level of boost the engine is seeing to add fuel to compensate for the boost. It's a crude way to manage AFR, but it seemed to work in that application. A similar thing could be done with a turbo I guess but the air/fuel delivery system on the LT would make something like this pretty complex to pull off in terms of the plumbing and locating the injector.

As Lee said, no known way to re-map the ECM so no good way to manage AFR.

NOS would kill this motor pretty much instantly unless it was a wet system, which pretty much mimics what the SC described above does.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Probably NOT!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Steve_R said:
Probably NOT!
I would say definitely not. however there are some stronger clutches out there already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Slim1500 said:
I am looking into a turbo for this bike. I am to big for the GT (also the LT). At 6'4" and 340lbs not much more of a bike to get. I have a Mr. Turbo on Vulcan 1500 now. I love the bike and was looking for the superior ride handling and stoping of the BMW. They will not make a Turbo kit for the LT as of now. Might have to make a winter project out of this bike.

Here's a turbo kit from RB Racing:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos.htm

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
JimH said:
It already makes 'real' horsepower. 100hp is nothing to sneeze at. Remember, it weighs about double what a sport bike weighs.
Actually, the 05 and beyond make 116 bhp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
off the line and low end sounds like you want torque and a different power curve

when you're above 5K or 6K it is a whole different bike, but that does not seem to be what you;re after

rbracing site other provided links to looks interesting, give it a read and read ALL of it the site is informative and entertaining. You could go all the way from turbo to fuel rails to exhaust and add a clutch to handle the extra HP from them. I would expect though that you would still be looking at high end HP not low end grunt. Maybe they could tell you. I was thinking about using their stuff on my old LT before I bought he new one.

Bob

·
Registered
330 Posts
Kinda like making a race car out of a big Caddy.

I like "muscle" bikes. I have a modified Triumph Rocket III with 150 hp / 153 ft. lbs. of torque for kicks. But, I still pick the LT 9 out of 10 times I leave the garage.

And...suprisingly enough, I can beat my buddy's 106 cu. in. Victory with the LT. It's not bad when you let it rev.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Frist, I want to say thank you to all. I have to see where this leads me to for the gains that I crave. Spoke to the dealer today about finding a K 13000 GT & is that what makes me feel right. I just sold my screaming eagle ultra glide with 103 made about 90 hp. I feel like the throttle is nothing more than a volume control on the ultra glide. If they have a stero and speakers for th GT it might be my only way out. Dose any one know if they have more leg room???? My Lt is very tight for leg room now with suburban lower pegs and XL j pegs There is some more room.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You could drop a hundred pounds.... then you would live longer and faster!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts