BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering getting an LT, but wanted some information on the changes to the model years (if any) since 2005. I have read a lot of the threads over the last few days and can see that there were some major changes to the 2005 model so I’m going to limit my search to the 2005 and newer models.

I currently have a 2004 K1200RS with 52K miles on it. (Most of those were done with my daughter riding pillion, so she is enthusiastic about getting a more comfortable seat.)

Does anyone know if the servicing costs between and RS and an LT are similar? I’m wondering if I’m letting myself into more expense on that front.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Daughters

Money to me, would not matter, if I had a riding daughter. I hope in few years one of my twins will ride. So I believe the difference of cost would be minimal vs. to have a daughter as a passenger and making her more comfortable, to me is priceless.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Clymer manual I have covers K1200RS, GT, LT from 1998 to 2005. They all share a simular platform. The tupperware removal seems a little easier on the RS and GT, the service costs I would think would be about the same on all three bikes. Oh, happy hunting for a new LT.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about a year left before she is old enough to get her drivers permit that will limit her to a 250cc - she's already been researching those bikes.

We rode up to the MOA rally in West Bend this year. She was so busy volunteering I didn't see much of her. My son was there too riding my wife's R1150R as she decided not to come with us. He got the youngest rider award. The year before we went to the MOA rally in Vermont. My son rode his Ninja 250 and got the youngest rider award that year too. (At 15 you don't care how hard or small a seat is - even on a 5000 mile trip.) We'll be in Wyoming next July, but it will be 2009 before my daughter can ride to a national rally on her own bike.

·
Registered
507 Posts
mccodavj said:
I’m considering getting an LT, but wanted some information on the changes to the model years (if any) since 2005. I have read a lot of the threads over the last few days and can see that there were some major changes to the 2005 model so I’m going to limit my search to the 2005 and newer models.
The '2005 and I think some of the '2006 LT's options were ordered by the dealer. The current models have most of the options (if not all) as standard equipment from the factory. This is not necessarily a bad thing just something to be aware of when comparing the '2005 and up bikes. For example, I would not have ordered the OEM comfort seat option or the BMW VoiceII comm system given the choice. Regarding the latter, I would much prefer to have the Baehr comm system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts