BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 BMW K1200LT. 12k miles, Just bought parts to have 12k done. Decided to do an oil change, when I removed the filter cover I found some brass/gold shavings and most troubling a thin piece of silver metal curled up sitting on the engine oil filter cover.
Spoke to several people more mechanically inclined than I am, they all say that's all bad. Looking for advice as to the best direction to head. Pull the valvecover and cams for inspection or pull the oil pan for more inspection? Any ideas what this could be..

any advice would be much appreciated.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Well, That's a pretty big hunk of metal... Is it soft like a bearing ? Can you scratch it with your fingernail ?

Since you've got only 12K on it.. It's also likely that it's a piece of something that got in it during manufacture and has laid in the bottom of the pan doing no harm until you got it out...

It doesn't appear to be a piece of the engine to me.... But maybe John Z or one of the other guys will have a better idea on that.....

Engine otherwise ok ? No bad noises ?

Does that piece have any numbers on it ?

Could it be a tag off of something ?

Hopefully just swarf..

John

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
I don't remember off hand if the engine drain plug has a crush washer installed, butt you might remove that plug and see if there is one on it. If in fact there should be one, and there isn't one on your drain plug, then there is the *possibility* that the pic is showing a beat up/fractured crush washer. Those things are aluminum, I think, and therefore, pretty soft and easily deformed and split. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'd be sending oil samples in to have analyzed. At the very least they can tell you what types of metals are wearing, assuming that they are, and what part of the engine it's coming from. If the sample comes back normal, then you'll know that this was just an errant piece and nothing to worry about.
Beats tearing the engine apart.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
My filter cover is always BLACK when I remove it. So, I was wondering if you cleaned yours up with a parts cleaner and that's where the pieces came from. It sure doesn't look to me like anything that would come out of the bottom of an engine. Especially if the engine was still running OK.

Just saying! :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
If everything you found was in that picture I don't think you have a problem. But if you are really concerned you can always pull the crankcase cover and pop #1 rod cap off (you will need new bolts to reinstall) as she is the last to get oil and the first to show unusual wear. But if you did not hear any knocking or a "sewingmachine" sound before the oil change I would just press on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow.. My first post here and I really feel support here..
Thank you all for the responses..

Crush washer was installed still on the drain plug..
The dealer did the first oil svc so I dont know if they sprayed
anything inside or not, nor do I know if there was anything inside
at that time.
No excessive engine knocking noises since I purchased
it about 4k miles ago.
The motor seems slightly noisey but always has since I bought it.

Yes it feels like a soft thin piece of shaved alluminum, Its so thin when I
pressed it to a towl it split and came apart,there were some minor brass/gold
color flakes right next to it on the cover.
I thought about a bearing cap, but should have some more noticed noise, Took it to
a trusted moto tech and he seemed to think maybe a bushing or something like that?
I dont think it could be casting that flaked off, it looks like it was shaved off something, it was curled up .No numbers nor does it resemble any kind of tag.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The big piece is cuttings from machine work, probably from manufacturing. Wash everything out and replace oil cover, fill with oil and ride. Actually quite common to see such things right from the factory.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Looks really more as a swarf from machining of the engine body then a part of the engine after assembling and cut of from running.
In my opinion put new Oil in, drain this after 2 - 3k miles including filter and take a look if there is still some brass flitter in it.
If yes come back if not keep running ;)

Manfred

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was leaning towards the brass being the inside of the bearing/cap, the silver
sliver of metal the outside.. I am planning to change the oil and filter
again in 500 miles and then keep an eye on things.. I want to pull things apart
for deeper investigation but not yet. I dont want to wait for a bearing
or something to let go completely and waste the motor.

thanks all for the info. not so spooked now.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
kd6mtz59 said:
2004 BMW K1200LT. 12k miles, Just bought parts to have 12k done. Decided to do an oil change, when I removed the filter cover I found some brass/gold shavings and most troubling a thin piece of silver metal curled up sitting on the engine oil filter cover.
Spoke to several people more mechanically inclined than I am, they all say that's all bad. Looking for advice as to the best direction to head. Pull the valvecover and cams for inspection or pull the oil pan for more inspection? Any ideas what this could be..

any advice would be much appreciated.

Kevin
I agree with the others here. Probably something from the factory that just didn't get properly flushed out before assembly. I would change the oil again after 500 - 1000 miles just to see how things look. If things are clean then, I would carry on and not worry. You shouldn't need to change the filter, just drain the oil and remove the filter cover for inspection. If you are careful, you could even put the oil back in if you find nothing amiss. But it is really hard to keep oil clean enough when draining to be safe using it again, so probably better to just put in fresh oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts