BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the Lake Saranac/Lake Placid region of NY and am looking for any idea for day trips.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The easy answer is from wherever you are staying, turn right or left and start enjoying.

Also, Toll road up Mt. Whiteface is interesting on a nice day, also Rt 73 down through Keene Valley.

Full Day - continue down route 9 (boring stretch) to Rt 74 from Schroon Lake over to Ticonderoga, take the little ferry over to the VT side Pick up Rt 73 over to Bristol (lunch at Gourmet Provence) deli/bakery. Continue on Rt 73 over Brandon Gap (mostly recently repaved); alt lunch spots - VT Home bakery (the dumpy looking place on th ecorner of 73/100 or 4 miles south on Rt 100 to Rochester, VT and Rochester Cafe on right side; then go north on Rt 100 to Waitsfield, Left on Rt 17 over the Appalachian Gap (more spectacular mountain rd riding) then take Rt 17 all the way back to the Champlain Bridge, north on 22 to Port Henry, go left in center on town and find your way back to Elizabethtown, then back up NY 73 to Lake Placid.

I've done all these roads many times - spectacular, varied terrain and scenery; never get bored.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
We will be heading up to Indian Lake, Ny in the Adirondacks for our base-camp next month and ride the fool out of the mountains. We will head towards Canada and skirt the water, no telling where we will ride.

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
BeemerBoyLT said:
I am going to the Lake Saranac/Lake Placid region of NY and am looking for any idea for day trips.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Starting June 1st (at Lake George, NY) you'll find a fantastic tour bike rally called Americade. There is some fantastic riding in that area ... day trips and otherwise.
Here's a link to the site where you'll find some routes: http://www.tourexpo.com/data/content/view/526/1/

If you think you may be in that area at that time, definitely make it a point to stop by!

Have also ridden the stretch Robert Bloch (rwbloch) detailed - he's right, amazing ride !!

Enjoy - Ride safe.
Keir

1 - 6 of 6 Posts