BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I just ruined the shaft on my EHCS unit trying to remove severe pitting that trashed the seal. Looking for help locating a replacement shaft (old or new).

The whole story...
After reading several great posts and watching videos, I purchased the O rings and seals, a new motor, and decided to attempt the rebuild.
Once I got the unit off the bike and cleaned up, I noticed severe pitting in several areas on the shaft. Realizing that the shaft needs to be smooth or I risk ripping up the new seal and wiper, I got to sanding the worst areas. Now, the shaft is nice and smooth, but the pitting was so deep that now the shaft diameter is smaller in spots. Small enough in fact that when I test fit the new seal, I can see daylight between the shaft and the seal.

Compressing the unit proved the point as when that area of the shaft moved through the existing seal, fluid came pouring out.
So, I'm now in the market for a replacement shaft. Has anyone else run into this dilemma? I've seen posts where new end caps have been machined, has anyone had replacement shafts machined?
Or does anyone have an EHCS unit (or parts) they'd be willing to part with?

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
jzeiler is the man you need to contact.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
I normally have some but I ran out and I lost access to my machinist. Working on another one now. I usually try to polish them if I can in a drill press starting with 400 and going up to 2500 grit. But that will not work if it is badly pitted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Help! I just ruined the shaft on my EHCS unit trying to remove severe pitting that trashed the seal. Looking for help locating a replacement shaft (old or new).

The whole story...
After reading several great posts and watching videos, I purchased the O rings and seals, a new motor, and decided to attempt the rebuild.
Once I got the unit off the bike and cleaned up, I noticed severe pitting in several areas on the shaft. Realizing that the shaft needs to be smooth or I risk ripping up the new seal and wiper, I got to sanding the worst areas. Now, the shaft is nice and smooth, but the pitting was so deep that now the shaft diameter is smaller in spots. Small enough in fact that when I test fit the new seal, I can see daylight between the shaft and the seal.

Compressing the unit proved the point as when that area of the shaft moved through the existing seal, fluid came pouring out.
So, I'm now in the market for a replacement shaft. Has anyone else run into this dilemma? I've seen posts where new end caps have been machined, has anyone had replacement shafts machined?
Or does anyone have an EHCS unit (or parts) they'd be willing to part with?
I am parting out my 02. Shoot me a picture of what you need and where it is located on the bike and I'm sure we can work a deal.

Apologies, I don't have an EHCS. I have two LTs and neither have one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts