BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just did this a couple weeks ago. I had a heck of a time with one of the clips. I ended up using a very long straight slot screwdriver from the rear. If you get the handlebar angle right, you can see the clips and ears they engage with a good flashlight. After that, it was pretty straightforward to get the new bulb in. I think the previous owner had bent the clips a bit doing a change himself. Like others have said, I replaced the bulb with a long life bulb. Those Silverstar bulbs put out a lot of light, but they don't last long under the vibrations a bike subjects them to.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Noel:

I like 2 things about this post:

1. The theory that waiting until the boot-up is done is helpful to bulb life. I never heard that. Why not?
2. That your long life bulb has lasted so long. Great!!! That's what I put in my bike. Give me hope I won't have to install the extra one I bought.

A lot of people think there's not enough light to these but I think they're fine. They don't dazzle oncoming cars and the brights are pretty good when you need to see in the dark. I've put real bright lights on bikes before. Generally, you get night-blind from the reflections of the street signs.

:alien:
As I had said earlier, I cannot put a good technical rational for this, but I also believe that #1 is the reason why I had ridden on 3 RTs, over 80k - 90k miles combined, and had burnt out just one bulb in all these time! Typically, there are 2 things that I can think of that is quite detrimental to bulb life. First, is vibration while the bulb is burning, and the second is over-amperage, as in power surge. For me, vibration would have been a major factor for my bulb to fail, and yet it hasn't. I rarely get on the smooth super-slabs, and most of my riding is on country back roads. On top of that, I can guarantee that every times that I do go for a long ride, my RT will completely leave the ground at least once during the ride! Those vibration would have been a factor that should have killed my lights (filament, and NOT LED) rather quickly.

So that leaves power surge. This is where I am unable to come up with the technical explanation, but it is my habit that I always power the bike up long before (usually several minutes) I actually got on, and ready to hit the starter.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I just replaced my 6th low beam bulb n my 2017 RT. I also had an 08 RT that was just as frequent as the 2017 but not quite as hard to change. You can almost set your clock to change them out every 15,000 miles. Come on BMW fix this....it has been going on for years!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just replaced my 6th low beam bulb n my 2017 RT. I also had an 08 RT that was just as frequent as the 2017 but not quite as hard to change. You can almost set your clock to change them out every 15,000 miles. Come on BMW fix this....it has been going on for years!
Looks like they finally did on the 2021 RT...

·
Registered
392 Posts
With that said, the cost of replacement should the LED unit gone bad...
The answer is: it depends. Is it LED bulbs or something similar to the wetheads rear end lights?
My guess would be bulbs and those last a long time and don't cost much to replace.
If not, expect BMW parts pricing like a $1500 headlight assembly...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts