BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2014 R 1200 RT (4000 miles!) from a San Antonio dealership and it came with a 30 day warranty. I'm 700 miles in and loving the bike, with the exception of the transmission. Is there anyone in the Austin area experienced enough to take my bike for a spin to determine if I've got an issue, or a typical clunky transmission? My warranty ends on 10/3 so I'd love to meet up sooner than later.

Austin Moto Works needs me to leave the bike for as they don't know when they can get to it. BMW Austin hasn't given me a call back.

Thanks for the consideration!

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT LE
56 Posts
For your reading pleasure. I’m in Bryan/College Station if you need help on the 6k and 12k services or if you want to learn the mechanics of your bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For your reading pleasure. I’m in Bryan/College Station if you need help on the 6k and 12k services or if you want to learn the mechanics of your bike.

Thanks PhantomBlade. I've read through that thread and tried the tricks and tips mentioned but am still suffering with intermittent terrible shifts. Primarily shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 at low to moderate throttle. I've owned three Harley's so I think I know what a clunk is. What mine can sound like it gears that just don't want to go together! I've missed more 1-2 shifts on this bike than any other bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased a 2014 R 1200 RT (4000 miles!) from a San Antonio dealership and it came with a 30 day warranty. I'm 700 miles in and loving the bike, with the exception of the transmission. Is there anyone in the Austin area experienced enough to take my bike for a spin to determine if I've got an issue, or a typical clunky transmission? My warranty ends on 10/3 so I'd love to meet up sooner than later.

Austin Moto Works needs me to leave the bike for as they don't know when they can get to it. BMW Austin hasn't given me a call back.

Thanks for the consideration!
One of the BMW features is a clunky gearbox. Had a few that always do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
You might want to pull the side foot peg cover to check the linkage lubrication... simple 3 hex key bolts and a torx drive. It may just need lubrication on the linkage. Lubing the linkage made a world of difference for me.
Also, I have a H-D, and it is a whole 'nuther animal when it comes to shifting... and clunks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to pull the side foot peg cover to check the linkage lubrication... simple 3 hex key bolts and a torx drive. It may just need lubrication on the linkage. Lubing the linkage made a world of difference for me.
Also, I have a H-D, and it is a whole 'nuther animal when it comes to shifting... and clunks.
Bob, all three of my HD bikes shifted smoother than my 1-2 and 2-3 shift on the RT. The big issue is low load shifting, like driving through the neighborhood or stop and go traffic. I'm dropping off the bike next week with the dealer for them to review. Unfortunately, they're not a BMW dealer so I'm not sure how thorough they can be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And I'll pass the lubrication advice along to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
How's the clutch pull lever adjustment? Is it possible it's not fully disengaging because of too short of a pull? 2014 thru 2016 had clunkier shifting than when they added a judder damper in 2017 and made other improvement after that. So you and I have the same shifting and I can say you will get better for sure at it for sure or at least I did. I won't tolerate the N to 1st clunk so always kill the engine at longer stoplights and otherwise keep the clutch level pulled for short stops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts