BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2001 K1200LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pulling the fuel pump on my 2001 K1200LT, I found the wires connected to the terminals on the pump holder base were off and the terminal lugs were corroded to practically nothing. I was able to re-solder wires to the lugs, but am getting no continuity from the outside power connector to the pump wires.
Is there another way to supply power to the pump?

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
After pulling the fuel pump on my 2001 K1200LT, I found the wires connected to the terminals on the pump holder base were off and the terminal lugs were corroded to practically nothing. I was able to re-solder wires to the lugs, but am getting no continuity from the outside power connector to the pump wires.
Is there another way to supply power to the pump?
If the wires are so corroded, have you tried firing up the pump to see if it works? I added new metal quick disconnects and hoses to mine before trying to start the bike... okay... no sound. So, I pulled the pump and it looked like this. I tried hooking ups wires to the pump to see if it works, and it was shot. I don't know how bad your pump is, but I just replaced everything while waiting for my fuel injectors to come back from Mr. Injector in ID.

You may find replacing the fuel pump and base plate, etc., would be a lot less hassle down the road. Good luck!

·
Registered
2001 K1200LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kbob12, It looks like one of your wires is also broken off the white connector on the fuel pump flange.
I already have a new Quantum HFP-439 pump and filter on hand. Just looking for an alternative to the white electrical feed through connector on the flange. A new fuel pump flange is over $400.00.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the wires are so corroded, have you tried firing up the pump to see if it works? I added new metal quick disconnects and hoses to mine before trying to start the bike... okay... no sound. So, I pulled the pump and it looked like this. I tried hooking ups wires to the pump to see if it works, and it was shot. I don't know how bad your pump is, but I just replaced everything while waiting for my fuel injectors to come back from Mr. Injector in ID.
View attachment 172997

You may find replacing the fuel pump and base plate, etc., would be a lot less hassle down the road. Good luck!
Man!! What a disaster! Bob, I don't know what the difference is, but I have a 2000 as well, and had things apart last summer after a long trip the year before. My fuel pump looks quite clean and nothing like this rusty mess. Possibly storing the bike over winter with a full tank of gas has helped? Any other opinions on this?

·
Registered
2001 K1200LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up this bike in non-running condition a few months ago. It had been setting for 8 years. Not sure why. The gas tank was empty. It appears the gas had leaked out of a deteriorated fuel line.
That is pretty much how my flange/pump bracket looked. Once I got the pump and filter removed, it cleaned up well with a small wire brush.
I still need to find a way to get power to the pump.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
View attachment 172997

When I purchased my bike at the end of 2016 I bought it from a friend who had it sitting in his garage for 6-8 years. We often talked about riding and I kept asking what he planned to do with his. I finally bought it and trailered it home and it was a disaster! I spent more on repairing it than I did on purchase... I may have paid too much, but he is a friend... anyway--as part of the repairs, I bought a new pump and the mount bracket, etc., for under $200 on eBay.

I just googled "fuel pump bmw k1200lt" and found one under $200, and one just over...

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Here is one with the electronic controller. (yours is suspect with all the visible corrosion going on). Says K1200S but is also the same unit for K1300S.
You can check part numbers on MAX bmw parts fiche.
And if you get a part number you can put it in the search function top right of the opening menu bar. It will tell you every bike that part fits.
Just an aside BMW is doing a recall on this part, the complete assembly. If you go to a bmw service desk and present your VIN number you can find out if your bike is in line for this, highly likely, I'd just slip it back in your tank and take the mess to them for a new assembly. Could be a great coup.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,592 Posts
Beech, wrong pump for the LT. Never been a recall for pumps on LTs.

• Helpful
Reactions: CaliCruiser

·
Registered
2001 K1200LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm considering removing the white wire feed through on the flange, enlarging the hole to 1/2", and installing one of these fuel cell fittings.
Or, Idea #2 is drilling a 1/2" hole in the top of the tank, next to the vent, and install the fitting there. This would keep fitting above the fuel level.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,592 Posts
Crap, I blow it again. I seldom can seperate the two series of LTs. Would have been cool though.
Hey Beech it is easy for me as I only have the LT:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
What did you end up doing? I have the very same problem and don't feel like spending over $400 for a new flange. I had just bought a new fuel pump kit from Beemer Boneyard and soldered the broken wire to the small nub. It worked for a couple of months but then let me down a quarter mile from my house. Luckily I was able to push the bike home.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
What did you end up doing? I have the very same problem and don't feel like spending over $400 for a new flange. I had just bought a new fuel pump kit from Beemer Boneyard and soldered the broken wire to the small nub. It worked for a couple of months but then let me down a quarter mile from my house. Luckily I was able to push the bike home.
Bloody hell, I hope there weren't any hills. What was it that failed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My solder joint cracked. That bike is a beast to push in the Texas heat, but I was fortunate that it didn't happen hundreds of miles from home. I called my neighbor who helped. I will most likely try to find a good used pump assembly, especially if I can find one with a bad pump at a reduced price. I don't want to risk having it fail again because of a solder joint that can't be done right because of a lack of exposed metal.

·
Registered
2004 BMW K1200LT
6 Posts
I have the same issue with corrosion the bike was sitting for years the fuel pump wires have no insulation I can't find a hold anyplace, I guess it's dealer time UGH, if anyone knows where I can pick up the hold or assembly it would be greatly appreciated. The plastic fuel port broke off with minimal pressure

·
Registered
2004 BMW K1200LT
6 Posts
View attachment 172997

Mine looks just like this one all the insulation from the wires is gone The replacement flange is over $400 very sad, I can't find a used one or a discounted new on either here is a picture of mine
Wood Gas Art Metal Font

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Mine looks just like this one all the insulation from the wires is gone The replacement flange is over $400 very sad, I can't find a used one or a discounted new on either
Hi!
I just googled, "k1200lt replacement fuel pump" and I got a bunch of inexpensive options... here is one:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts