BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I dropped her and snapped off about 6 inches of the windscreen on the right side. Not the first time and probably won't be the last. :eek:

I know some of you guys buy after market windscreens (Cee Bailey etc.). If anyone has and still has their original laying around I would be interested in buying it.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a wind screen that I took off a 2005 because I wanted a taller screen. I belive the one I took off is a little shorter than standard. Can measure it this evening if you are interested.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
jarhead354 said:
Well I dropped her and snapped off about 6 inches of the windscreen on the right side. Not the first time and probably won't be the last. :eek:

I know some of you guys buy after market windscreens (Cee Bailey etc.). If anyone has and still has their original laying around I would be interested in buying it.

Thanks,
Frank

As far as I know you have two choices, both polycarbonate: OEM and V-stream. The rest are acrylic garbage :stir: not worthy of any serious rider interested in safety.

There may be another brand of poly but I am 100% satisfied with my V-stream - and yes - I've owned ALL of them.

http://www.ztechnik.com/ztechNews/index.html

Make sure you watch the video showing poly being attacked by a baseball bat, hammer and shotgun...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Make sure you watch the video showing poly being attacked by a baseball bat, hammer and shotgun...
Women giving you trouble such that you need a ballistic windshield? :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Big +1 on the V Stream by ZTechnik.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would recommend the Aeroflow product line. In my experience, they do the best development and their quality is beyond reproach. Quality products, solid on-road development, everything fits and they absolutely outperform the factory stuff as well as the aftermarket stuff. I recon that if you spend the money and buy the Aeroflow product, you will be very happy you did so.

Will

·
Registered
683 Posts
jarhead354 said:

Thanks,
Frank
You might want to check the dimensions on someone elses stock windscreen as yours must be an aftermarket, you can't snap off 6" of a Polycarbonate screen, you can cut it off, or burn it off, but not snap it off...Thats why polycarbonate is used for MC windscreens, no breaky..

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
will3hawks said:
I would recommend the Aeroflow product line. In my experience, they do the best development and their quality is beyond reproach. Quality products, solid on-road development, everything fits and they absolutely outperform the factory stuff as well as the aftermarket stuff. I recon that if you spend the money and buy the Aeroflow product, you will be very happy you did so.

Will
Sounds like a solid plug for Aeroflow. :D

But "outperform the factory stuff" ? If you are talking about BMW's that is not even a remote possibility. BMW has been using polycarbonate for at least 33 years.... my 1979 R80 windshield is made from it. Mebbe you're talking about aerodynamics...?

Aeroflow uses Implex acrylic sheet - while slightly better than some of the acrylics other after market companies use it doesn't even come close to polycarbonate sheet's inherent impact resistance and toughness. Acrylic is cheap, easy to cut, finish and thermoform, which enhances the bottom line of the fabricator. That's why it is so popular.

Implex is engineered and marketed for making signs. 'Nuff said. ;)

I'm not saying that Aeroflow doesn't make a good windshield. I am saying that for my personal use - it isn't even a remote consideration simply because of the material they use to fabricate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts