BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what will work best.
Would like to keep clothes on that I would wear when I get to my destination. Need rain proof #1.
Insertable warmth liner would be good
Prefer 1 peice, but would go 2 peice
trying to not go too bulky!

Am I dreamin?

larry

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I have BMW 3-phase jacket (jacket, liner, waterproof top)and aerostitch over pants.....
seem to work for all but 85 degree plus weather............
for hot weather I use perforated leather jacket and put a lightweight waterproof shell over it in rain or "cool" mornings.........................
pretty much covers it all
except for "cold" when I add BMW Phase Change under clothes

·
Registered
197 Posts
What I use

Since late 03 when I bought my 04RT I have been using a TourMaster one piece rain suit. I bought it in 3XL so it would fit over "normal" business casual working clothes as well as thicker jeans and pullovers during the cold months. I am in GA so winters are cold but nothing like in other areas of the country. So the rain suit basically functions as a, well rain suit, but also as a good winter windbreaker and extra warmth. Again I am wearing warm clothes underneath it in the winter, and during early spring and fall just my normal clothes.

My wife uses the same suit, it has been durable, the white material inside is nice so you don't feel like you have plastic touching your skin and the way the lower leg opens up with a zipper it makes it large enough to put it on and take it out without having to take your shoes off.

I think I paid less than $200 for both.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stoker100 said:
Would like to keep clothes on that I would wear when I get to my destination. Need rain proof #1.

Am I dreamin?

larry

I went for the 'El Cheapo' option. I use a 2-piece nylon 'Wilson' sport suit. I sprayed the crotch seam with tent waterproofer and it works pretty well. It's easy to put on/take off, reasonably durable and cost me about $20.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Stoker100 said:

Am I dreamin?

larry
That is almost a spec sheet for the Aerostich Roadcrafter: http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16133&cat=248&page=1

I searched/considered/owned several different garments before finally settling on the Roadcrafter. I commute daily and need to have my suit look "neat" when I get to the office. The Roadcrafter is *perfect* for this application. Good up to 85+F, and down into single digits in the winter with an electric jacket underneath. On and off in literally seconds.

Not cheap, but I figure I've spent less on the Roadcrafter than the 2-3 other jackets/pants/etc. I would have purchased to cover all the Roadcrafter does.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Alternative

First Gear - Kilamenjaro (sp). Great for cold wet and ugly weather; but big $$$.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Stoker100 said:

Am I dreamin?

larry

If you are actually looking to buy a suit, I have a Tourmaster Blue/White/Black pants and jacket I can sell you. XL, never used. If interested, let me know.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Check out www.motoport.com.

One piece breathable rain suit $99, Samoa.

They also have jacket and pants available in breathable fabrics.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Where to buy Aerostich Roadcrafter

Any advice on where to get the best price on a Roadcrafter suite?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
raywest said:
Any advice on where to get the best price on a Roadcrafter suite?

Thanks in advance,
Only from Andy Goldfine at Aerostich -- he doesn't use distributors.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update so far

The aerostitch is awesome, but out of my price range!
samoa, tourmaster are great rainsuits, but I need cols weather as well on my first one.

Looking like the Firstgear thermoguard at 130.00 is the one I will be getting
it is a one piece with built in thinsulate. Big enough to go over my clothes and mesh armour.

Anybody have any experience on these?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Mark

My only problem with the Roadcrafter is the need to still take wet weather gear in case I hit extended wet weather. Crutch gets wet in about an hour (from memory, I gave up wearing it some years ago), the rest gradually leaks after a few hours.

The wet crutch problem was somewhat allieviated by a bead seat though.

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
http://www.graniteoutdoors.com/catalog.0.html
Elite Angler Rainsuit!
Elite Suit with Bib Pants. Same exceptional jacket, paired with bib pants. Bibs feature a full zip front with waterproof zipper and storm flap, extra-wide adjustable elastic suspenders with snap lock buckles, Nylon outer from above the knee to the ankle for extra protection from tears, abrasion, and heat, and 16" zippered ankles with velcro tension adjustment.
Sizes S, M, L, XL, 2XL,

Suit includes jacket and bib pants.

Colors: Black, Green

Suggested Retail Price: $199.95

Our Price: $169.95

Free Priority Mail shipping on this suit!
Check out the Elite with the bib (Pro-Angler)
Love mine.
Std. Toggs are good , but not nearly as durable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I second (or third) the Aerostich. While expensive, I have never regretted buying it. Everytime I put it on, I am amazed at the features. Throw an electric vest in with it and you have a suit that you can wear in anything!

One thing that I have found is that it goes on so fast, that you will wear it more often instead of saying "it's just a ride to the store" It might save your butt.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Stoker100 said:

Am I dreamin?

larry
I have used my Tourmaster 3/4 jacket and pants for a few years, with good service.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It pays to not haul rain gear if you can purchase a "suit for all seasons." First Gear Kilimanjaro saved my ass in a head on with a deer and is water proof. The 'HT" pants are water proof and have body armor as well and saved my artificial knees in the crash. The equipment has body armor and ventilation. It has vented pockets. I rode this week in 85 degree weather in the afternoon and 45 in the AM. Comfortable. I rode the gear in 32 and was comfortable without heated equip.

I was doing 45-50 upon impact and walked away from the crash. The suit was scraped up but not me.

I am a firm believer in First Gear but also realize there are other good products out there. This is just my experience with this one.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Armor is a good idea

And the one suit for all seasons id great to, but now I am getting into a stretch on costs, at least for now.
There is a suit by fieldsheer (highlander one piece) that has removable liner and armor. looks like will cost around 225 once shipping is added.

Anybody have one of these?

larry

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
FieldSheer

Stoker100 said:
There is a suit by fieldsheer (highlander one piece) that has removable liner and armor. looks like will cost around 225 once shipping is added.
Anybody have one of these?
larry
call Audrey @ MotoLiberty 1800 214 7223
She's a BIG FieldSheer dealer, honest , knowledgeable.
( And many times will beat other prices.)

I wear my Mach2 mesh year round, in summer with CoolStuff OutLast underneath,, in the winter adding silk unders or if even colder, windy-er or wet the Frogg Togg Elite bibs
or if Dang Freaking Cold a layer of quilted (lt.wt.) Polar Max also.

In Texas I have found layering the best. Leave home in the Am @ 30deg come home in the Pm @ 80 or vice versa.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts