BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I'm new to the forum. For the last three years I have ridden an '86 goldwing, and have decided it is time for a new bike. After doing much research, I have decided on the K1200LT. At first I thought I would buy a used one, but wanted to see one up close, so went to the dealership. Saw the 08, and decided I want it. The wife gave permission, I was approved for financing, and they had the color I want. I haven't signed anything yet, as I never buy anything big the first day I see it. But I will probably be buying this.

So I have a couple questions about buying the bike. I asked the sales rep what we could about the price, and he said he could drop it to $21,000. What have folks been able to get this bike for? I really hate the idea of paying more a bike than I did my truck. I would really like to get it under $20k.

I asked about getting extras thrown in with the purchase, doesn't sound like they normally do this. All he said was he could give me 10% off accessories. Anyboday been able to do this?

Also, I have been reading about the next generation LT, is this just rumor, or is the bike changing next year?

I still haven't ridden it yet, and won't have the chance to until next Saturday. It is supposed to be in the 20's here all week, but hopefull it will be above freezing next weekend.

thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
2,916 Posts

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
Tony welcome you will find any and all the answers you are looking for here, search the forums and archives.
I know several dealers who give a 20% discount. I personally use Chicago BMW.
Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
42 Posts
gglove said:
Tony welcome you will find any and all the answers you are looking for here, search the forums and archives.
I know several dealers who give a 20% discount. I personally use Chicago BMW.
Enjoy your new ride!
20% discount on a new bike??

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think he means 20% off the accessorys. For my 05' I paid $21,700 OTD in Dec of 04'. I got everything except the GPS. I think the 08' comes with everything standard, they just raise the price. Have fun on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know where you can pick up a Barritz Blue 08' for $22,000 out the door including tax (6% near me), title, & reg. That puts the bike around $20,601. I had the deal aproved but decided in a R1200RT intead.

·
Premium Member
7,827 Posts
It seems BMW dealers start knocking $100s (and more) off MSRP at the end of the model year. I got the next-to-last '05 LT at my dealer for $19,500. The last LT that model year sold for $19k even at BMW Columbus.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
used2jeep said:
20% discount on a new bike??
Sorry 20% discount on parts and accessors.
i will say they are significantly cheeper on there bike prices then other dealers. When I was looking I had wo other dealers say they could not come close to the price I was getting from Chicago BMW.

·
Registered
300 Posts
nice problem to have

if $$$ are no issue... go get the new ride... however, check the market for late models with very little miles. My exposure to this market says it'll cost you at least $10K just to drive the new bike out the door. You can get fine machines with under 10K miles still under warranty for as low as $12-$14 thou.

Either way enjoy. I too went from a 1200 wing (1985 interstate) to the 1200 KLTE. The rides are similar in size, with the LT significantly taller and with a more aggressive riding position. I'm glad i switched.

·
Registered
609 Posts
hschisler said:
It seems BMW dealers start knocking $100s (and more) off MSRP at the end of the model year. I got the next-to-last '05 LT at my dealer for $19,500. The last LT that model year sold for $19k even at BMW Columbus.
Ahemmmm!!!!!!

Hey Howard-make it 18,500.....I know that guy :D :D :D

Mike

·
Registered
371 Posts
living_free said:
The wife gave permission, I was approved for financing, and ....
That sounds awsome!

Brace yourself, though. MY wife would kill me in my sleep if I sold the LT. The SOs seem to get attached to it as much, or more, than riders. Must be that sofa in the back... :confused:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last new I bought was an '88 suzuki intruder 750. I rode that one until three years ago when I bought the '86 wing (interstate). The LT I plan on keeping for a long time, that is why I am going new. (the intruder is now the wifes bike)

I realize the depreciation of these bikes the first year or two, but since I will keep this bike for a long time, that really doesn't matter. I plan on getting the extended warantee, so I will have seven years coverage (unlimited miles).

Besides, SWMBO said I could :dance:

I do have another question: Is the GPS worth the price?

Tony

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DarkMeister said:
That sounds awsome!

Brace yourself, though. MY wife would kill me in my sleep if I sold the LT. The SOs seem to get attached to it as much, or more, than riders. Must be that sofa in the back... :confused:

The SO doesn't spend alot of time on the back, last year she only put a couple thousand miles on the back, she has her own bike. Our thirteen year old daughter however LOVES to ride, so she is the one that spends alot of time on the pillion. She didn't go with us to the dealership, but I showed her pictures of the bike, she likes it. And when I told her about the passenger speakers, audio controls and heated seat, she got all excited about it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
living_free said:
I do have another question: Is the GPS worth the price?

Tony
That is really up to you. Do you feel you need GPS? How much do they want for the option? And can you get and install a GPS you like cheaper?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought my 08 in December here in Houston. I paid $23,046.65 out the door with GPS. The list on the bike was $21900 and the GPS was 1399.00. The bike with GPS before taxes was 21500. They originally wanted to give me 500.00 off list. They called me 2 days later to see if I had wholesaled my Electra Glide. I told them yes but I was buying a used LT because they wanted to rip my head off on the price of a new one. He wanted to know what I would give him for the new one. I offered 20,500 and he went to his manager and they accepted the deal over the phone. I then said to make it 21,500 with the GPS and they again accepted. My advice would be to offer something less than my numbers and give them the used bike story.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Oh...nice to know Gulf Coast WILL negotiate. I'll keep that in mind when I'm ready to
pull the trigger. All their models come preordered with the GPS mount so I was going
to wait until I put some miles on it to determine if I really needed one. Last one I
got quoted without the GPS and with the extended warranty put me out the door
at $25080, if memory serves.

Anyone know if you pay in cash if they really start discounting the bikes?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts