BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bikes for the past 30 years have been two 75/5 and one short spell on a 1100GS which I did not like (just did not fit me) Put over 100k on the /5s and I still have a 71. But I an getting old I guess and a nice fairing and good seat sure seems like a good idea....I am looking at a friends 2005 LT. It sure seems like a nice bike 44k on it and well taken care of. I wouldn't blink an eye at a 75/5 with this kind of mileage but I just don't know anything about these "modern" bikes. I have been reading the forum and it sure seems like there is a fair amount of issues with different LT years.

So is the 05 a good year?
Is there something I should ask of the current owner regarding maintenance issues?
He is asking 9k what do the members think about this price?
I like riding in Mexico and Central America is this a crazy bike to do that on? Seems to handel pretty sweet to me. But I have not tried it on any gravel or through potholes.
What should I ask a BMW shop to do to,the bike before heading out on a 5 or 6k trip?

Thanks for putting up with a newbie' s questions.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I LOVE my 05.

Like any machine, it needs work from time to time. I do my own service (with help and guidance from other forum members when necessary). I did my own clutch and slave replacement in June, and I did a fork seal replacement and steering damper swap today. When you do your own work, certain satisfaction in knowing it was done right, and for pennies on the dollar.

There are other members in your general neck of the woods, so I suspect getting hands-on help would probably be fairly easy. You can even head down this way on your way to Mexico and we can work on it, doing pretty much anything you might need.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I ride an '05, too. Bought it about one year ago and could not be more pleased.

I try to stay on smooth hard surface roads due in part to preference for that kind of riding but also I believe the LT is at its best in that element. I have hit a few potholes but not without banging the suspension pretty hard. I hate it when that happens.

The price seems fair enough and in dealing with a friend on a bike that you are confident is well maintained, you probably don't need to shop very far from home. However, even from a friend I would want some verification for the well maintained part, especially in regard to the brake system and I would want to be certain that the clutch is in good condition.

Welcome to the forum. I have found it to be a good place to hang out and learn the ins and outs of LT's from some pretty competent aficionados who enjoy sharing their wisdom. I believe you will love the forum and the LT.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Otto27 said:
So is the 05 a good year?
Is there something I should ask of the current owner regarding maintenance issues?/QUOTE]

I purchased an 05 from a guy last year that only had 5500mi on the clock. Was really concerned about the low mileage. I've put a little over 20k on it and had the clutch go out after 10k. But that was my fault, LT doesn't like having high rpm starts. Other then that the bike has been problem free. Also had an 03 with almost 80k that was problem free. I prefer the 05 simply because of the powered center stand.

One thing I would recommend is to get the vin number and ask the dealer to do a maintenance record lookup.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
You need to ride the bike to really get a feel for how it will handle. I put about 50,000 miles on my 02 on mostly good roads.

Riding on hard packed gravel from time to time and a little off road on smooth dirt is OK, but if I knew there would be a lot of riding on that type of condition, I'd pick another bike. The LT is heavy and is designed (my opinion) for pavement. I really don't think that the LT is the bike for slippery muddy roads and deep ruts in the pavement. That is not where I'd want to be on an LT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the info. Purchased the 05 and have been really enjoying the bike. Stored for the winter now but sure had a great October in Colorado.
Regards
Otto

·
Registered
795 Posts
Congratulations, I am sure you will continue to enjoy it. I think the reason it seems that there are so many problems with the LT is two-fold: 1 - there are a boatload of gizmos and doo-dads unlike the 75/5, and 2 - they are starting to age.

My old man's BMW R75/5 was the first motorcycle I ever rode on when I was a kid, first moto I ever operated was the old man's R100. I have lots of fond childhood memories of those machines, but I also remember my dad spending a lot of hours adjusting the carbs, tinkering with this or that and lubing shaft splines etc - all things I don't have to do on either of mine and I'm not complaining. :bike:

·
Registered
79 Posts
The LT is an awesome bike for its intended design purpose, (paved roads) I got stuck on a corrugated road down under and I believe it was the eventual cause of the exhaust bracket on muffler to break off thought all the vibration and potholes.If it rains on dirt roads forget about it as there a handful to say the least.As far as faults with the LTs ,when your on a forum regarding this bike the shear numbers of owners throughout the world who find fault with it will be high.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
There is just not enough suspention travel on the LT for anything other than smooth gravel. I have gone a few places I should not have gone and wished I hadn't. Biggest fear is dropping it on a road with deep ruts, really tough to get her back up right.

·
Registered
795 Posts
jzeiler said:
There is just not enough suspention travel on the LT for anything other than smooth gravel. I have gone a few places I should not have gone and wished I hadn't. Biggest fear is dropping it on a road with deep ruts, really tough to get her back up right.
That's where I joined the tip-over club a month or so ago, wet camping in the woods and took a forest service trail in, on the climb out of the campsite the next morning, crested the hill and a rut got me, stalled her out and down she went. I leaped from the bike with swiftness and landed on my feet next to the fallen behemoth, that's when the real fun begins...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.