BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a used GS and price is an issue. I saw an '06 GS at my dealer with 18k miles on it. It has all of it's service records. Bike looks great. I heard of the potential brake issues with the '06 in general. Is it worth getting this year? I think I can get it for about $8500.

Also, besides the brakes, are there any major differences between '06 and '09?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. You guys have a lot to say on this forum.

Anyway, I picked up an '09 with 6300 miles on it.
Ken

·
Registered
158 Posts
ken6217 said:
Wow. You guys have a lot to say on this forum.

Anyway, I picked up an '09 with 6300 miles on it.
Ken
I'm usually in the RT forum but I'd thought I'd come over for a visit. Congrats on your, new to you GS. I see you also have an RT. Are you keeping the RT or plan on selling it off? One of these days I wouldn't mind getting a GSA, my wife loves the way they look. I'm 5' 9" and shrinking by year and I'm not sure I'd be able to tough the ground with my boots. Really like the RT and it weren't for the cruise control I wouldn't be able to ride. I have carpal tunnel in both my hands and the cruise control gives my hands much needed breaks. If I got a GS I'd have to install a cruise control. If you don't mind sharing what did you end up paying for your 09 GS?

Hey show us a pic!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice find on the 09 with 6300 miles.
Was it from a dealer or private, what options and price did you pay?
I figure a GS will make it into my garage at some point.
I want to do some more off road, before I go the GS route.
Did the Dual Sport Foundations at BMW in Greenville last November.
Never having done off road found it to be a lot of bike for me in the mud.
It had rained hard for the 12 hours prior to the off road day.
On gravel and hard pack dirt, really nice though.
How are you planning on using the GS?

Good luck with it.

·
Ego equitare, timo ego sum
9,871 Posts
ken6217 said:
I am looking at a used GS and price is an issue. I saw an '06 GS at my dealer with 18k miles on it. It has all of it's service records. Bike looks great. I heard of the potential brake issues with the '06 in general. Is it worth getting this year? I think I can get it for about $8500.

Also, besides the brakes, are there any major differences between '06 and '09?

Thanks,
Ken
I have an 06 GSA, never an issue with the brakes. Mine ate two final drives, which BMW handled. The second FD replacement was with the new design, and it's been solid for 30k miles so far.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I no longer have the RT. I traded that in last year for a K1600 GT. I had pre-ordered that bike. I did love the RT though.

The GS was from a dealer. It is black with ASC and ESA, heated grips and side cases. Doesn't have spoke wheels. I paid $11,500 and they threw in the 6000 mile service. I also have purchased 6 bikes from them over the years and so that is why the good deal.
Ken

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Congrats on the GS, I love mine it is in MHO the best bike in the world.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Just purchased an 06 from a private party this past week to add to the 99 LT. Haven't had much opportunity to ride it yet, the cold really puts a damper on things plus really busy at my business. Am looking forward to this spring and summer for some off-road adventures. Great places up here in the northwest.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
The only real brake issue the 05's and 06's have are that they are servo assist brakes. They are very responsive, perhaps too much so. Also, if you lose the ABS module, you really don't have brakes. At least not ones that you would want to trust. Also, when you flush the brakes, you do have do a flush at the servo unit, and at the calilpers too. I had an 05, and it was a great bike, but with approximately 20,000 miles on it, I lost the rear brakes. I eventually found a used module for $400, and a friend of mine and I changed it out ourselves. That unit costs approximately $2400 new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts