BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a Goldwing rider who is in the process of upgrading. I never thought much about a BMW, was planning on going to a new 1800 wing. I found a 2003 K1200 LTC loaded with 6000 miles for $14000. Has me thinking.... How concerned about driveshaft should I be? Any other problems with that year? Anyone out there with experience with both bikes? Thanks for any input. Kirk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Buy

Hey Capt;

I have a 2002 and absolutley love it. I have been riding for 35 years and its at the top of the list. I would not worry too much about the shaft, change the fluid very 6000 and check the magnetic plug for excessive metal. Mine has 36000 and no trouble. You will probably get a lot of posts on this subject.
If you plan on doing cross country rides on I80 then buy anything you like. But if you will be doing canyon riding and dragging your knees stuff then buy the LT. You wont be dissapointed. Thats why most people like it, you can ride all day straight or go thru Co. dragging pegs. And the thing is,at least with me,is you always want to get back on even after a 700 mile day.
Good Luck
Zeke

·
Registered
938 Posts
BMW changed the bearings used in the '03 and the drive shaft has not been an issue.

One big difference to point out, and this is very important. The antilock servo braking system is far superior on the BMW then any other bike. Also, the suspension is designed so that it will not dive during hard braking...

I have an '03 LTC. I really love it !!!!!!!

I would try to negotiate the price though, seems a smiggon high..

Thanks and good luck..

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Accroding to BMW they haven't had any reported rear drive failures on 2003 and new models. That sounds like a reasonable price for a low mileage loaded LTC; I would go for it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
2003 Lte

I bought my Bemmer in April with GPS unit, Com system, PIAA lights (ALL NOT INSTALLED). It had just under 15G on her and I paid just under 15G! Cute huh?

So far, I put on over 5 thousand miles and not a thing wrong (knock on wood).

The only issue with my Beemer is that I still can't get her onto the Center stand without assistance. It's such a big bike!

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
captkirk said:
Hi, I am a Goldwing rider who is in the process of upgrading. I never thought much about a BMW, was planning on going to a new 1800 wing. I found a 2003 K1200 LTC loaded with 6000 miles for $14000. Has me thinking.... How concerned about driveshaft should I be? Any other problems with that year? Anyone out there with experience with both bikes? Thanks for any input. Kirk
hey captain ... i'm a veteran GL rider so i've got some experience on both.

the beemer offers superior brakes, handling, and electronics integration (although this last factor is less of an advantage with the very latest wings). the beemer also gets better gas mileage and has a slightly better fairing and better available comfort features, like heated grips and seat.

the wing, IMHO, is slightly more reliable and has a stronger motor. also, there are many more honda dealers in out of the way places, should you need help (rare on a wing).

you should ride each and decide. what sold me was the first time i threw the LT into a sweeping turn. you will not believe how well it handles for a bike as big and comfortable as it is.

P.S., i'm fairly sure that some later LTs are also suffering from rear drive failures. i don't think BMW has fixed the problem yet. we all love our bikes but a number of us can't figure out why BMW doesn't solve what has been a persistent problem since the LT was introduced.

good luck with your decision. i sure don't regret buying my '03. zero problems so far and i love it. also .... this board has great, helpful, friendly people on it.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Got an '03 LT. Great machine! Take it for a ride, if it fits and you like it, get it.
Have had no mechanical problems with mine, runs great.
If you got short legs like me, you'll find it a little top heavy at times, once you get moving, that disappears.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I have an 03 LT with 28K (bought it new in 2/04) and have had no problems except the ground strap on the headlight which was replace under warranty.

A good bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts