BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Honda 90 Trail Bike, 2014 Honda CTX 700 N
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm looking at a 2005 R1200RT as a possible purchase. I haven't seen it in person yet, nor have I ridden an RT in the past. This one vets out as a 2 owner, well maintained, cosmetically near a 10, asking price is $5k. I'm thinking everything is good to go. I'm looking to step up from a '14 Honda CTX 700N for more comfort and speed. My question is about the mileage, at 35K what kind of major maintenance could I expect in the next 10-20k miles. The owner says to expect to change the rear drive oil in about 3k miles Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bugger all. If it has been well looked after you could expect 40K plus before issues but.....it depends on the running style of the previous owner. Oil changes are a given.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
237 Posts
Make sure the servo brakes have been looked after. It's a reasonably big job to bleed the entire system (6 separate circuits done twice in succession) and the pump(s) can fail if the maintenance was neglected. Having said that I had a CLC (same brakes) that did not see service for 9 years, and was still working fine. If it dies on you you can just bypass the system (and lose ABS) or get a "second life" board so your bike will think it has the brakes working ok and will not generate errors and warnings, or have them refurbished or replaced. Least expensive to most expensive. Otherwise they are pretty reliable, my '03 CLC and '06 RT never missed a beat but I was anal with maintenance. Engine's good for well over 200k miles. Suspension might need replacement or refurb.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I have a 2007 - same basic bike. Be aware that there is an issue with the fuel level sensor in the 2005 - 2009 RT. BMW extended the warranty for the fuel level sensor on those years for 12 years - which are now past. It's a seriously expensive fix [which may be temporary] but there is a workaround. You can "zap" the sensor back into service. Pain in the rear but it works. You can still manage fine without the sensor working by just fueling by mileage. Set the trip meter, ride 250 miles - refuel - Bob's your uncle.

AT 102,069 miles, the rear universal joint failed 11/11/2014. Parts alone were $1144.42. My son now rides it and it runs just fine @ 160K miles. Otherwise, normal maintenance and it's been happy to take me wherever I want to go.

I trusted this bike enough that I rode the Iron Butt Rally on it in 2011.

Poster from 2014 at the IBA International Meet in Denver, CO.

Font Material property Publication Document Paper

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
There were at least two recalls the owner should have taken care of, fuel leaks resulting in the replacement or repair of the fuel pump, and replacing the aluminum rear wheel flange with a steel one. I'll also point out BMW lowered the rear wheel studs torque to 50 nm from 105nm; and the rear drive was a so-called lifetime fill and doesn't have a fill or drain plug making the fluid change a pain. That was chnged back in 2008.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts