BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Vstar and about to trade in on a K1200. The cruiser was fun but I have an 8 y/o son that is going to tour w/me this summer across the country. Need a bigger bike and comforts.

Anyway, I'm looking at a 2003 K1200LT w/19k miles for about $11,500. Very clean bike with no blemishes,scratches or dents. The only thing is that when you get on it real hard it starts to slip a bit. I'm getting it from a high end wholesaler that buys repos and such. They told me they took it to a dealership and were told that it's a common problem and it could be driven for another 80k miles before needing to be fixed to a tune of about $1500. Doesn't slip in lower speeds or normal driving.

Any tips, suggestions???

Syd
Dallas, TX

·
Registered
78 Posts
Clutch Sliping

SYD. It sounds like the clutch is going out and my guess is you won't get it far down the road before it goes totally out. Mine did the same thing and only lasted a day or two after it sliped in 4th and 5th gear getting on the throttle. I would find a better deal for that money there are bikes for 12000 and 13000 that are 05 models or less than your paying for the same year in our classified section or on Cycle Trader.COM

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have an '03 LT and I have never felt the clutch slip. As the previous post says, I would look elsewhere for an LT.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
sydvicioustx said:
I own a Vstar and about to trade in on a K1200. The cruiser was fun but I have an 8 y/o son that is going to tour w/me this summer across the country. Need a bigger bike and comforts.

Anyway, I'm looking at a 2003 K1200LT w/19k miles for about $11,500. Very clean bike with no blemishes,scratches or dents. The only thing is that when you get on it real hard it starts to slip a bit. I'm getting it from a high end wholesaler that buys repos and such. They told me they took it to a dealership and were told that it's a common problem and it could be driven for another 80k miles before needing to be fixed to a tune of about $1500. Doesn't slip in lower speeds or normal driving.

Any tips, suggestions???

Syd
Dallas, TX
If it's slipping it will NOT go many more miles. Most likely the rear main seal or the clutch slave cylinder is leaking.

$1500 minimum to fix, could be $2000. I would still buy it if you could get it for about 8k and you have a local dealer that can fix it right for you....

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've got an '03 with just over 18,000 on it, and I've never had a problem with the clutch.

I'm thinking of selling mine. Nice bike, and I've enjoyed it, but I need to free up some debt load.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went and test drove it today. They put a new battery in and it was slipping in every gear. Badly!! They agreed that it needed to be fixed and said they would call BMW tomorrow and find out how much. Asked to me agree to purchase IF it was fixed and BMW provided repair order that shows it's fixed. The bike is IMMACULATE!! I'm going to put the link on here for you to view and see for yourself.

One question too. It was hard to tell the power with it slipping. What is the power like on the 03? Is it a good deal if it gets fixed? Would be like brand new bike with a new clutch.

Link to the bike

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
In this market I feel $11,500 for an 03, even with the clutch fixed, is on the high side. I'd offer 10K after the clutch is fixed. Check the classified on this forum and you may decide to pay just a tad more and get an 05 instead.
sydvicioustx said:
I went and test drove it today. They put a new battery in and it was slipping in every gear. Badly!! They agreed that it needed to be fixed and said they would call BMW tomorrow and find out how much. Asked to me agree to purchase IF it was fixed and BMW provided repair order that shows it's fixed. The bike is IMMACULATE!! I'm going to put the link on here for you to view and see for yourself.

One question too. It was hard to tell the power with it slipping. What is the power like on the 03? Is it a good deal if it gets fixed? Would be like brand new bike with a new clutch.

Link to the bike

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Definetly advantages in the 2005. Electro-hydraulic kickstand + more power+ better rake angle.

I bought the 05 a little over a year ago (39K) for $11.5 off this site (now have 59K).

You never know how it's fixed, etc if you buy it "fixed".

Be a little patient. Winter is a "buyer's paradise" for motorcycles.

Others will disagree, but, I would look 05 or newer. Prefereably with 20K or more. You ought to pay $12-13K +/-. Take a good serious look at this sites classifieds.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
zippy_gg said:
In this market I feel $11,500 for an 03, even with the clutch fixed, is on the high side. I'd offer 10K after the clutch is fixed. Check the classified on this forum and you may decide to pay just a tad more and get an 05 instead.
I agree w/ Ted & Gilles - $10K after clutch is fixed. I have an '03 with about 42K - no clutch issues here whatsoever. btw - your build date is May 2003 (same as mine, but mine came off the line 107 bikes in front of yours! I'm happy w/ my '03 but agree you should check out the 05's or newer.

here is a link to decode any BMW VIN#:
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Good luck & happy searching.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
sydvicioustx said:

Link to the bike
That is a nice looking bike. It is an LTC and no an LTE though. Impala Brown is about the worst color in terms of resale too. I wouldn't pay more than 10-10.5 for that bike retail.

If you've got a little more time and are willing to spend 11.5 12k you will be able to find a bike with more accessories and probably a year or two newer.

EDIT -

I have an 03 LTE with 9k miles that I would sell for 12K if someone offered me that. Just sayin':)

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Syd, you sure it wasn't the Armor All'd tires slipping and not the clutch, or on second thought maybe the clutch got some Armor All on it too:) Just kidding. The bike really is cleaned up well, and that is what they are selling you.

There are quite a few extras on there, armrests, backrest, j-pegs, spider mount, probably a few I missed, all worth about $750-$1000. At 19K miles the clutch is not wore out but is lubed with oil. If you decide to go with this beaut, be sure to require another test ride after the repairs, just to make sure all else is good, since the slipping clutch has had all your attention thus far. Then make sure all the seals at the back of the engine, tranny seals, and clutch slave have been replaced. These are the things that will contaminate the clutch, and should be replaced while they are in there anyway.

10 grand is definitely more appropriate than 11.5. There is plenty of backup available to support a lower price. Don't let the dealer tell you it's a cherry. Although it is, almost all used LT's are cherries and well cared for.

Good luck,

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! I am looking forward to coming into the BMW family. I really appreciate the quick replies and all the generous advise. Believe me I am sinking this in and thinking twice.

I did think about all the options on it and the extra $$ they are worth. As far as the color I don't mind the color and I plan on keeping for quite some time. My only concern with deciding between the 03 and 05 is the power. I know the clutch was not optimum but it didn't have nearly the power I thought it would. Probably hard to tell though in this condition. I have coworkers that ride BMW's for work and they always talk about the nice pickup and speed. Now I'm not looking to race.....too old for that. But after having my Vstar I was quite disappointed in the 45hp off the showroom floor.

So overall the consensus is to hold out for an 05?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Yup.. I have an '05.. it is quite a different ride. You also have things such as the HP boost, possible better Final Drive design, different lighting arrangement, HCS, better throttle cables.. etc..

If you can spring for an '05, or even lease NEW you would be better off. I say that because as you are travelling with your son, you'll enjoy the added peace of mind of an extended warranty on an '05, or full warranty of new.

Welcome aboard, come back often.. all the best for your trip...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lease??? Never knew you could lease a bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do I find out what model this is:

2006 K1200LT

The vin decoder said it was LT-M. What does that mean? This "BMW" is in the next city to me.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
sydvicioustx said:
How do I find out what model this is:

2006 K1200LT

The vin decoder said it was LT-M. What does that mean? This "BMW" is in the next city to me.
By 2005 BMW wasn't assigning models anymore. They are all the same, with most options similar. The buyer could add some things such as GPS and Intercom. Everything else is pretty much standard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beware the VIN Decoder...

Ted said:
I agree w/ Ted & Gilles - $10K after clutch is fixed. I have an '03 with about 42K - no clutch issues here whatsoever. btw - your build date is May 2003 (same as mine, but mine came off the line 107 bikes in front of yours! I'm happy w/ my '03 but agree you should check out the 05's or newer.

here is a link to decode any BMW VIN#:
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Good luck & happy searching.
Just a word of advice using the VIN decoder. Don't put too much stock into what it spits out based on the last 7 characters of the VIN. I punched in the numbers for my '05 LT and the results looked pretty accurate. Then I tried my '07 GS Adventure (R1200GSA)... not even close. According to the decoder, the VIN number is from a K1200R Sport that was built in June 2005. I called BMW and inquired about my VIN and they verified that belongs to my '07. It's not really a huge problem, but folks need to be aware of the shortcomings of the decoder and to call BMW Customer Service to accurately verify a VIN.

BMW Customer Service: (800) 831-1117

BTW Syd... got your both of your e-mails this morning. They came way past my bedtime last night!:sleep: Anyway, I replied with my phone number so you can give me a call about the '05 LT. No slip in the clutch and plenty of power!:D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sounds like there is a good posibility that the slave cylinder and/or rear main seal on the engine is bad. If it leaking, the clutch plate will be come contaminated. The clutch and seals and possibly the slave cylinder will have to be replaced. Easy 2000.00 job.

That also leads me to believe that whatever seals didn't fail may fail in the near future ... How many miles on the bike? If it has been sitting for an extended period of time, the seals can go bad.

Stay clear of that deal no matter the price..

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my never to be humble opinion you may be tempted because of the Farkles IE the bak up and the arm rests for your young son. If it is fixed and the dealer includes a warranty (yes they offer warranty's for used bikes) so if the seals go like most here think they will you'll be covered. If it were me I'd keep looking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts