BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Lookie, what I got -- Baron Trunk Rails

6K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  RonKMiller 
#1 ·
Yesterday UPS brought my Baron Trunk Rails, and since I did not want to wait I decided *I* (of all( are going to try to mount the rails. And folks you have to ask the ones that know me what it means when I take a tool into
my hands, especially a tool that has nothing to do with bits and bytes. But...

The whole procedure of mounting the rails took ... OK it took me 20 minutes. But that included rolling the bike out of the garage, and finding my 5mm hex keys, and ... but that has nothing to with this. Anyways from start to finish it took *ME* no more than 20 minutes.

Then I took Gremlin out for a test ride. Me likes! Now for some pics.

This is how Gremlin looks like from afar.

No, I did not clean him up yet, as I said, I JUST finished mounting the rails!

Now there is something! Now *I* get use the armrests I installed for Lanette as long as she is not riding with me.

And this shows one of the drawbacks. Currently this is open. Mike, you gotta find SOME solution here. This should be closed off. Would look better!

Yours truely:

And for the all the pics in a higher resolution:

http://picasaweb.google.com/apleschu/5222007

Now for a short rundown of the PRO's and CON's:

Pro:

-) I like the fact I get to use the backrest. The backrest that high up is truely a treat.
-) I like that I can use the Armrests
-) More storage on the bike while alone
-) I think Gremlin looks good with the Truck forward.

Con: (And I KNOW this is the first set of rails and I am the guinea pig! And also at the same time some things are just necessary, but it still needs to be mentioned.)

-) Opening the trunk latch is somewhat complicated (at least with sauges as finger as I have)
-) left and right need to be closed off
-) on the rails *I* got the slots are not long enough, BUT I guess the next tech session will take care of that.
Access underneath the seat is problematic (But Mike said that upfront)

Bottomline: I believe if Mike wants to he could develop this into a very nice product. But even now it is already worth every cent I donated to the water people. (Mike does not sell the rails ?yet? he gives you a set if you donate something to a GOOD charity, which was the reason for me to donate more. Seldomly I find the opportunity to donate to charity and get something for the bike in return. But I hope for the community he will be developing these into a product.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool! I was thinking a Ft Worth Rack on the back with the config would be real nice, but I wonder if you would be able to work the top case latch with the rack installed. Looks tight already, but may be the angle of the pics.

As for closing up the gaps, I recall seeing a bonnet (or whatever you want to call it) that Ari made when he put his power seat mod in place. Perhaps just a bit of rubber to shroud the area might help a bit. Just thinking out loud.

I might have to get me one of those gizmos!

#4 · (Edited)
Whew... I was concerned they wouldn't work (well) on the newer models.

I wish I had arm rests... and a plaz tv... actually I am working on a touch screen display, but thats another day.

Re: CONS

1.) Yeah the latch is a little tight with one hand.
2.) I roll my rain gear up and stuff it in there. It would be cool to come up with a tool box in that area on each side.
3.) I freehanded the slots with a drill press and a die grinder. An Iron Worker that punches slots would be sweet, but I don't have that kinda money

SIDE NOTE: Under the back deck is a fair size pocket. I bagged up my spare light bulbs, fuel filters, flat fixer bottle, etc and put them in there. You can get the deck off without removing the trunk (its tight but possible) and how often would you need to access extra parts like that.

#5 ·
How Hard is it to Move Back and Forth?

Most of the time I ride solo. Is it a major effort to slide it back when the wife wants to come?

Bruce

#8 ·
UncleRock said:
How long them arm rests going to last.
If I didn't kick one off first thing in the morning, I'm sure shifting my butt off the seat in some twisties would scrap them in a hurry?
Of course you may not ride that way.
Rock
a) The armrests fold up when not in use. See my first picture
b) They are definitely only for use on the slab
c) No, I don;t have too much opportunity here in southern texas to hang off the bike like an ape. LOL. So I may not ride that way.

Bottom line. I think they will last for a while.

#9 ·
BaronVonGregg said:
2.) I roll my rain gear up and stuff it in there. It would be cool to come up with a tool box in that area on each side.
3.) I freehanded the slots with a drill press and a die grinder. An Iron Worker that punches slots would be sweet, but I don't have that kinda money

SIDE NOTE: Under the back deck is a fair size pocket. I bagged up my spare light bulbs, fuel filters, flat fixer bottle, etc and put them in there. You can get the deck off without removing the trunk (its tight but possible) and how often would you need to access extra parts like that.
ad 2) Yes, two (tool) boxes would be terfific
ad 3) I guess that is the same thing I will do to make those slots longer. Hint: Should you decide to make them into a product. some kind of a quick release mechanism for the top box would be wonderful. so that one can change the position quickly.

#12 ·
Hmmm... Not sure about the armrests:think:
I think they take away even more manhood out of a bike that now comes with a hydraulic center stand.
Not that I miss starting a bike engine with a kick... but there is a point when I want to scream STOP!!!
On the plus side... well, let me think... Maybe the backrest.. or not!
Nah! That is not something I would even consider. Just my opinion!
I like my bike to look like... a bike. I would use a Corbin Smuggler before I would move the top box next to my butt... That just shatters the beautiful lines of the LT.
Also I like to ride with Sport Tourers and hit the twisties. I think the backrest and armrests would definitely get in the way. I also ride a lot 2 up!
I do appreciate the creativity though... even if I don't see anything gained by moving the top case forward.

#14 ·
grifscoots said:
I think everyone is missing the whole point to this post. Andy did a mechanical thang and I'm real, real proud of him!
I resemble that remark!;)

#15 ·
ademarzi said:
I resemble that remark!;)
Why?

Grif got it EXACTLY right. *ME* using something like a 5mm hex is almost unheard of (and to be honest most of the time it is better I stick to the keyboard, I'm better there) but this time it was easy enough, so the even *I* was able to do the job.

#18 ·
Andreas,

My "resemble that remark" was a feeble attempt at congratulating you and being funny at the same time. No offense, please.:eek:

#19 ·
Zotter said:
Andy, you could put a small drawer pull knob on the bottom of the latch handle. Push the button for release, pull the knob to open.

something like this:

Dunno 'bout the brass color - but brass itself would be good for weathering. Maybe a squirt of paint over it.
now there is an idea! I knew the collective wisdon would come up with a solution. Probably not in brass, but brushed nickel would do. Although that would require me using DANGEROUS tools like a drill. Not sure about that one.

#22 · (Edited)
I just finished making a 16 ga. stainless bracket that attaches to the underside of the OEM radio antenna on the left side of the bike that I can attach a flag pole to. The pole is made of 3/8" stainless tubing that is threaded to an 8mm x 1.25. The pole is attached by threading a bolt up through a hole in the bracket and is bent to give the same angle as the antenna. I have not cut the pole to length yet but it will be tall enough to fly a 6" x 10" Canadian and a Nova Scotia flag of the same size directly below the Canadian flag. I am guessing about 27" at this point.

This was a last minute thing I wanted to add to the bike for our cross Canada trip that starts next Friday. The stainless has been cleaned up to be presentable on the bike but I didn't take the time to do a real good polish job on it. That will come later if is passes the test at highway speeds. We will be back and forth across the Canadian - U.S. border along the way and we plan to take in the MOA rally in Wisconsin on our return if the border crossings are not too difficult.

Sorry, this got attached to the wrong thread. A similar reply has been reposted to the flag pole thread by Ari.

If anyone would like pictures I will take some and try to post them here. Just let me know.

#23 ·
JCabranes said:
Interesting. Just curious, what do you anticipate the price of the rails will be?
The absolute most I can get donated to Water For People...

http://www.waterforpeople.org

One very gracious member donated $300 for the rails... my utmost respect and appreciation to him.

If you go to the water for people website and donate online be sure to specify the Water Buffalo "Ride with Purpose" in your checkout process.

You will get a reciept for tax deduction immediately.

Once you have donated please email me or PM me with the amount and date so I can get credit in my totals before the big ride to Toronto.

I have raised almost $7,000 in the last month towards the charity.

GOD is Good... and so are you people.

ZBaron

#24 ·
grifscoots said:
I think everyone is missing the whole point to this post. Andy did a mechanical thang and I'm real, real proud of him!
Yea Andy!!! :dance:

Now go and fix the Gremlin ya biscuit. Or put a Smuggler on him! I'm not so into this look with the flatbed on the back. Good for carrying spare servers and such around I bet. The lines just don't flow for me though. Hmmmm.. Although I'm sure it is comfy, and it is different!

#25 · (Edited)
zippy_gg said:
even if I don't see anything gained by moving the top case forward.
Well, I crushed two vertebrae doing a double back layout on ski's 25 years ago... and had my hip replaced about six years ago due to extreme skiing. Actually that is where the BaronVonGregg came from, but thats another string on a different forum.

Anyway "For Me" its a long ride thing, and actually I like the way it looks.

I ride solo 90%

Where was all this negativity on the long original string?

#26 ·
orange flag missing

congrats on the mod andy. truly unique. i must say, i don't like the look. reminds me of one of those handicap scooters. the orange flag could complete the look.

just havin some fun.

if they made a trunk that filled the entire back rail... hmmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.