BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 R1150RT with 34K. i am planning to ride to south America in November with a friend who also has the same bike. i am wondering if this bike is the right choice for this journey. i know a GS would be better suited but am wondering if there are guys out there who have done it on an RT. We plan to go for 3-4 mos. and not sure how far down we can get until we chart it out and get into the details. Also, if anyone knows of any sites or other forums which have more information on this. i reside in southern California - north of L.A.

thanks,
Zev Beckerman
818 851 0083

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
There's a video available about a group who did a trip from Alaska to the bottom tip of South America (I think all on GS's) in 2005 that might be good for you to watch.. if you haven't already seen it.
Was stuck in a Beemer shop waiting for a new tyre to arrive for 5 hrs last week and it was on heavy rotation on the TV.
Give you some idea about the trip...

Googled it... Alaska to Patagonia

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I have a friend who rode his 2004 R1150RT from Wisconsin to Alaska. Was headed to Prudhoe Bay along with a riding buddy on an R1200GS. They got as far as Coldfoot, well north of Fairbanks, but could go no further due to road and weather conditions.

The RT ran fine for the trip, but was caked in some sort of horrible mud. He removed the fairing at home and it took a lot of work to get the mud off.

The RT went as far as the GS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Off the topic sort of but I'm wondering what RT riders use for tires for off road situations? My 2009 with stock Metzelers isn't good at all in softish sand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts