BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of buying a new seat not that I would mind doing that has anyone tried the Airhawk seat I can handle the stock seat for about 150 miles before the need to get off becomes to much. Or does anyone have any thoughts on anything else to make the seat a bit more comfortable on long rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I use the Airhawk and it makes long trips a lot better :) I have just ordered a Rick Myer so hopefully I can not use the Airhawk after the new saddle arrives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
I am one of the people on this site that just cannot afford an after market seat. I would not even be able to afford an LT at all if I hadn't got a great deal on a used one. The after market seat would be the best solution I am sure. If you can afford one, go for it. However I have had some relief in the summer with a Beadrider. That helps keep the butt cool. In the winter I have used an Alaska Leather sheep skin pad. That also gives some relief.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
I rode all last season on the stock seat, I used the beads which helped. After doing a SS1000, I decided I needed a different seat. I had Russell make me a seat over the winter, and I am very glad I did, the difference is night and day! It truley is a "day-long" saddle. And the Russell is alot cheaper than some of the other options out there.

The stock seat on the newer generation LT just does not cut it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
I have been using the air hawk seat for two years and it works for me. During your ride the seat can be adjusted either by adding or letting out some air which helps in the comfort factor. The seat does add some height to your reach to the ground, a little more caution is advised when coming to a stop. I would give it 41/2 out of five stars.
Around town no air hawk. On long trips, Don't leave home without it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
jvalny said:
I have been using the air hawk seat for two years and it works for me. During your ride the seat can be adjusted either by adding or letting out some air which helps in the comfort factor. The seat does add some height to your reach to the ground, a little more caution is advised when coming to a stop. I would give it 41/2 out of five stars.
Around town no air hawk. On long trips, Don't leave home without it.
+1- I think the was one of the first purchases I made. -150 miles o.k.! over that and I would squirm like I was in the principles office again. Its fairly cheap, especially if you can find it on ebay or craigslist. Also keep in mind the hight. I road in the high position without the pad, and the low with it on. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your input it looks like the ROHO airhawk is the only way to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,614 Posts
Kra961 said:
Short of buying a new seat not that I would mind doing that has anyone tried the Airhawk seat I can handle the stock seat for about 150 miles before the need to get off becomes to much. Or does anyone have any thoughts on anything else to make the seat a bit more comfortable on long rides.
My wife and I had the same problem with our LT. We decided to try the Bead Rider first as it was cheap and then look at custom seats if needed. We have taken two 1,000+ mile trips this year and the improvement in comfort is dramatic. We have ridding two nearly 500 mile days with relatively good comfort. I also got LDC shorts and I think they have helped also, but I certainly give a good share of the credit to the Bead Riders. The seat is still too soft, but the ventilation helps a lot, especially when the temps get above 80.

I'm at the point now where my back and shoulders limit my range more than does my derriere. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL ya if it isn't the back and shoulders then its the knee's isn't getting older sooooo much fun

Voyager said:
My wife and I had the same problem with our LT. We decided to try the Bead Rider first as it was cheap and then look at custom seats if needed. We have taken two 1,000+ mile trips this year and the improvement in comfort is dramatic. We have ridding two nearly 500 mile days with relatively good comfort. I also got LDC shorts and I think they have helped also, but I certainly give a good share of the credit to the Bead Riders. The seat is still too soft, but the ventilation helps a lot, especially when the temps get above 80.

I'm at the point now where my back and shoulders limit my range more than does my derriere. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I am sure that I could benefit from a new seat but I need shocks first. I have been using Beadrider for almost 2 yrs and what a difference. I am in Florida and I always had an issue with my pants being wet and sweaty but the Beadrider allows good air circulation and that has keep me much more comfortable. Mine are wood beads but I think I have seen the new ones are now ceramic. I have had to repaint my beads and they need it again but you can't beat the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may end up buying both just to see which one works better the Airhawk for sure and the beads are pretty cheap
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,614 Posts
Kra961 said:
LOL ya if it isn't the back and shoulders then its the knee's isn't getting older sooooo much fun
Yes, but compared to the alternative .... I will put up with getting older! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,614 Posts
NRuest said:
I am sure that I could benefit from a new seat but I need shocks first. I have been using Beadrider for almost 2 yrs and what a difference. I am in Florida and I always had an issue with my pants being wet and sweaty but the Beadrider allows good air circulation and that has keep me much more comfortable. Mine are wood beads but I think I have seen the new ones are now ceramic. I have had to repaint my beads and they need it again but you can't beat the price.
The bead rider will help with sweaty, but you need Depends if you are wetting your pants! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL... well there is that

Voyager said:
Yes, but compared to the alternative .... I will put up with getting older! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Russell is the only way to go. Save your money and buy one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,883 Posts
I've been using the BEADS and they seem to help, but ( not the best word) I still itch and squirm on the really hot days. Wonder if SHEEP SKIN would help. Some say to alternate between the SHEEP SKIN and the BEADS. Maybe I'll give that a try. Seems though that the SHEEP SKIN would absorb and hold the sweat! Anyone using both?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many hours or miles can you stay in the saddle with them? I'm planning on buying both at this point

QUOTE=dandiver]I've been using the BEADS and they seem to help, but ( not the best word) I still itch and squirm on the really hot days. Wonder if SHEEP SKIN would help. Some say to alternate between the SHEEP SKIN and the BEADS. Maybe I'll give that a try. Seems though that the SHEEP SKIN would absorb and hold the sweat! Anyone using both?[/QUOTE]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
I'm 165 lbs. I go about 250 miles on the stock seat. I have an Airhawk that I have tried off and on for the last 3 years, most recently last week, and I could only handle it for 200 miles. The Airhawk does not flow air like the beads. I have tried all air settings from full to near flat. The thing just seems to vacuum seal my butt, causing perspiration to be trapped when even wearing wicking undergarments. The air cushion does eliminate pressure on my lower hip bone, but the width cuts off some circulation.

The beadrider works best for me. I can make it 750 miles on it, but my butt is sore at the lower hip bones due to the unforgiving, solid nature of the beads. The air flow is great.

Changing between the beads, Airhawk, and stock seat wastes too much time enroute and the positive effect of the change only lasts about 100 miles.

So, I am ordering a Kontour seat from Ron. I hope this will solve all problems and allow me to ride longer with less worry about my bottom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
I use a sheepskin seat cover and there is never any sweat. It is very comfortable so I keep it on the bike during all hot weather except when it is raining. It smells pretty bad when wet so I take it off until I get out of the rain.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top