BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am absolutely ecstatic that Robin and Wayne Edkin are going to present a 90min session at CCR.

Read the synopsis below. Forget everything else about CCR, this alone may be worth the price of admission!

These 2-up touring veterans attended the first LT gathering in 2000 at the “Gondola” in Michigan followed by eight CCRs. Since retiring in ’05, the Edkins have logged over 150K 2-up miles riding in every state including Alaska and Hawaii. Along the way, in addition to general touring, they have recorded seven Iron Butt Association certified rides. But more than racing along the Interstates, they enjoy bonus hunting and riding games that serve as ride motivation and as an impetus to wander off the main tracks. Robin and Wayne have found that riding is best when it has a purpose: to modify the cliche, journeys are best when the destinations are interesting. Last summer, for instance, they finished the IBA National Parks Tour Gold, only to follow it up with a NPT Platinum: these two rides, back to back in eighteen months, is an Iron Butt first. At one stretch, they were on the road for seven weeks covering more that 13K miles. Though LD riding and rally competition is not their main interest, in the pillion category, they have finished first in two 24hr endurance rallies, one with their ’05 K1200LT/Hannigan rig and one with the LT as a solo bike. That LT, their second, rolled over 100K when they added the sidecar in ’09. (It is still on its original rear drive though they do own a spare!) A GS and a ‘74 R60/6 serve as solo options when the rig is parked. And what are they up to now? They currently have over 120 USA sites in this year’s GLMC Grand Tour and have visited Pacific, Atlantic, Great Lakes, and Gulf lighthouses for the IBA Lighthouse tour.

Want to hear about these and other riding events?

Want to quiz Robin about her pillion perspectives?

Want to discuss 2-up packing, GPS use, communication issues, lodging and trip planning?

The Edkins will encourage lots of Q & A and will also try to create an opportunity for seminar participants to share tips and stories.

This is a must-see presentation.

Thursday, August 30th, 10:00a-11:30a.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
Hey, Brad - you better have a really big room for Robin and Wayne's session!! If there wuz any way I could attend this year, that session would be #1 on my to-do list. And btw, not to totally hi-jack this, but June 13 wuz Wayne's candles and cake event!! ;) ;). Prolly on the road somewhere!!

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Holy cow, that DOES promise to be a must-attend event at CCR. You're killing me, Brad. I wasn't planning on going because my wife can't go (she's a teacher), but you're just killing me. That session would contain many hard-earned great ideas for two-up touring.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Sounds like a great seminar!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Can't wait to hear the presentation. Is Guthrie going to give his prospective on long distance touring from the perspective of a dog?

·
Registered
204 Posts
hschisler said:
Holy cow, that DOES promise to be a must-attend event at CCR. You're killing me, Brad. I wasn't planning on going because my wife can't go (she's a teacher), but you're just killing me. That session would contain many hard-earned great ideas for two-up touring.
Howard
I would never suggest that I could replace your wonderful Bride, but we could do some neat solo touring while in the Duluth area.

Don S

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
dasmith59 said:
Howard
I would never suggest that I could replace your wonderful Bride, but we could do some neat solo touring while in the Duluth area.

Don S
I'm in. Just found out this afternoon that I can have that time off. Awesome. I've reached out to some guys who have registrations for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
hschisler said:
I'm in. Just found out this afternoon that I can have that time off. Awesome. I've reached out to some guys who have registrations for sale.

Good news, Howard. See you in Swede country.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
icepick578 said:
Good news, Howard. See you in Swede country.
Thanks, Barrett.

And I'll definitely be in line for this long-distance touring session. Looking forward to lots of good intel.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Oh snap, here comes Howie. :D It will be good to see you son.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
katnapinn said:
Plus one...
The best part is Howard will be meeting up with Sammie , myself , Bo (Texas42) & Don Smith for the last 3 days ride into Duluth. :dance:
Howard likes to 'smell the roses' so......................... :histerica Glad you could make it Howard.

Steve, how many on your leg to St Louis?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
Howard likes to 'smell the roses' so......................... :histerica Glad you could make it Howard.

Steve, how many on your leg to St Louis?
Sammie , myself & Bo. Unless we find someone on the way that wants to tag along. :rolleyes:
Sammie also want to smell the roses that is why the last 3 days are all 350 or less mile days. She can smell all she wants.
What a minute that did not come out right !! Sammie does not smell !! She wants to smell other things. Yea that's what I meant :D

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
hschisler said:

I'm glad you can make it. I'll be looking forward to meeting you!!

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
dthogey said:
I'm glad you can make it. I'll be looking forward to meeting you!!
Likewise, David.

And regarding those 'smell the roses' comments earlier - not sure what that means, but if it means I don't ride at warp factor 7 then yes, I plead guilty to that. I want to see and experience most areas I'm riding through, and not drive off a cliff while I'm looking at it. :)

I'll see some of you guys tomorrow night!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts