BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been to the show? If so, does BMW have a K1600 there?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just got back and both the GT and GTL are there. This is an impressive bike. Everything is certainly well designed and thought out in terms of the design goals. I was especially impressed with the integrated electronics and overall styling. It is one of those bikes that just looks right to me.

The seat does not look comfortable but once I climbed on I have to say, I think it will be ok. As ok as any stock seat and probably a lot better than the stock LT seat.

At 6-3 w/34 inch inseam I felt very comfortable and sat upright on the bike. The seat would need to be raised some for me, I think it was in the low position but comfortable non the less. My wife climbed on pillion and was also surprised at how comfortable she felt on it. She thought is was very comparable to our LT even though at first look she thought it was not as "sturdy looking". Side bags are considerably smaller but trunk looks close to the same useable space.

Pricing was not available but I was told they expect it to come in around $25k-$27k.

Someone will need to design some folding highway pegs for the small engine guards but other than that I think the bike is a real winner from a styling and ergonomics stand point.

Sure would like to have taken a ride.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I sat on it last night also and at 5'9" felt cramped. But it has a very nice feel to it. The way the fairing comes out on the lower legs compared to where the engine guard bars are going to be a challenge to make highway pegs, here is a pic. The fairing sticks out about 4" farther than the bar so you inside lower leg rubs against the edge of the fairing.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
dmatson said:
I sat on it last night also and at 5'9" felt cramped.
Frankly, I'm very pleased to hear this. (Oh, and I'm 6'3".) I want a bike that feels like the GT and Concours14. I found the LT's peg position to be too low for long-distances. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it's not. Just like the adjustable handlebars of the GT. I had them all the way UP, but was experiences arm/shoulder pain. I lowered the bars all the way down, problem solved. Giff had the same experience.

Sometimes, what "seems" comfortable is not, and Vice Versa. Just like a real soft seat. Feels nice and comfy for a few minutes ... until you quickly realize you're actually sitting on the seat pan 30 minutes later. :(

"Cramped" is a Yamaha R1. And even then, I'm not too sure I couldn't ride that bike longer than a bike with a stretched out peg position. I rode my '98 Ninja for a few 80-mile days. No problem. Then again, I'm not normal ... I own that.

Food for thought. Pegs can always be lowered/extended. And from all of the pics I'm seeing, highway pegs are easy-peezy.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV

·
Registered
268 Posts
dmatson said:
I sat on it last night also and at 5'9" felt cramped. But it has a very nice feel to it.]
I'm the same size as you and to me it felt roomy compared to the RT. I had a passenger on the back and it was very spacious for us.. there was at least a foot between my back and my a passenger's torso. I don't much care for highway pegs, but I have no doubt someone will have an ingenious design, like the folks at Elf pegs.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When I said cramped I meant (the seat to foot pegs) my legs were cramped, I liked the distance to the handlebars. With a little taller seat and some riding pegs it would be fine for me. When I sat on the GT which was on it's sidestand I could rock it up and it felt good, so a little taller seat for me will be fine on the L.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just got back. I took a lot of 1080P video clips of the bike and some photos and will create a new thread for them soon once I get them uploaded and stuff. There was a dark blue GTL mounted to a stand, lifting the rear wheel up about the same as if it were on the centerstand but holding the bike firmly in place. There was also the "gray" (closer to white) GT which was not on any mount so someone put it on its side-stand and then we could get a real idea of what the bike's CoG, weight, and ground reach were like.

I'll post more details in the new thread but basically the GT felt lighter than the FJR1300 I've had and had slightly better ground reach, despite actually being 80 lbs heavier. So the CoG definitely is fairly low which is nice. The seat was the stock 31.5" seat.

The GTL's seat was ridiculously low. Even though the rear was elevated an inch or so, I could not only flat-foot easily (I'm 5'6) but could even lift myself up off the seat while keeping both feet flat on the ground, and again that's with the bike on a stand. Pretty amazing. However this seat has a signficant downside - I was not only looking through the windshield even in the low position, but even the dashboard was easily in front of me, pretty significantly impairing forward visibility. But on the GT (2" higher seat, very slightly lower windshield in the center) I was perched much more properly. Luckily there's a middle ground, a 30.7" two-piece seat... BMW sure gave us lots of options.

I will post more on the new thread, plus videos. I took a couple of photos of the GT but it was so crowded that it was virtually impossible to do so. Video works much better.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I'm thinking I'm going to switch my order for the GTL with the factory tall seat if it's as low as that.. I was perfectly comfortable on the GT, both feet planted on the ground..

The GTL's seat can also be raised at the front. At any rate, I will have a Russell Day Long seat made for it and it will be about 2" taller than stock.

Looking forward to your new thread.

·
Registered
268 Posts
dmatson said:
When I said cramped I meant (the seat to foot pegs) my legs were cramped, I liked the distance to the handlebars. With a little taller seat and some riding pegs it would be fine for me. When I sat on the GT which was on it's sidestand I could rock it up and it felt good, so a little taller seat for me will be fine on the L.

You might want to order the bike with the factory tall comfort seat. On other bikes, you can order a low seat in lieu of the stock seat at no charge, but when bmw uses the word "comfort", it makes me think $$ and not possible to order it instead of the stock seat.

If I can't get the tall seat without having to pay for it, I'll try the stock seat in the raised position, until the Russell is built.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The german word for comfort and the english word for comfort are not the same as anyone who has ever gotten a BMW with the comfort seat can tell you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
How would you compare the leg room / foot position as well as the torso position and handlebar position compared to a K1300GT? For me the leg position was uncomfortable and there was also to much lean on my wrists.

I am hoping that you will sit more upright, no real pressure on the wrists, and knees not bent as much.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
519 Posts
My GF and I made the 7 hour drive from AZ to see the bikes, and we both sat on the GTL. I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam and the seat was considerably lower than the LT stock seating position. Very solidly able to plant my feet down and raise myself off the saddle. Is it too low? Only a long ride will tell if my legs would feel cramped on the pegs or not. This is the balance between finding a seat height that provides you with confidence at slow/stopping/parking speeds and that of riding comfort. But with the options of seats (and after market saddles) I think we all will find a good compromise.

I was able to look over the top of the windscreen when it was in it's lowest position. Of course once you get into the "riders slouch" (or have a shorter torso) that might not be the case for you.

My girlfriend found the ergos very comfortable. Good visibility, comfortable seat to peg to backrest ergos. She's 5' 3".

Talked to the rep from BMW, and as others had mentioned, they will be filling the pre-orders first, they will come pretty much fully loaded (ESA, Traction Control, etc) with the exception of the bmw accessories which are dealer installed. Prices aren't yet disclosed, and he couldn't tell me when they would be, but he did say that it will be similar in price to a loaded Gold Wing without the airbag. The pre-order system was opened up Friday for dealers to submit their orders.

Oh, and yes, it was worth the 7 hour drive in horrid traffic and rain, getting rear-end by a woman following too close, just to throw a leg over the bike and confirming that this is the one for me. My pre-sale order is in.

·
Registered
519 Posts
ken6217 said:
How would you compare the leg room / foot position as well as the torso position and handlebar position compared to a K1300GT? For me the leg position was uncomfortable and there was also to much lean on my wrists.

I am hoping that you will sit more upright, no real pressure on the wrists, and knees not bent as much.

Thanks,
Ken
I felt the K1600GT ergos were slightly closer to that of an RT, rather than the 1300GT, but yes, it was a bit more forward leaning than the GTL.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I currently have an RT and love it, but am real curious about these two bikes. I will check it out in NY in January at the show.
Ken

·
Registered
68 Posts
Definatly not an LT. More like an RT on steroids. In my biased opinion I think that the LT offers better protection which I enjoyed today after riding thru LA in the rain to get home in Vegas. The menu driven controls are not my favorite but the engine is something to die for. Seating looks and feels great.( 32 in. inseam) and I sat in a relaxed upright position. The bags and top box are not as good as the LT nor as useful. BMW raised the inside of the bags to acommadate the exhaust pipes. So the is a hump in both bags running the full length of each bag. The front signal lights are LED and look great. The rear drive looks beefy too. Will I sell my LT to buy one, NO! Of course I haven't test drove one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
grantkapteyn said:
Definatly not an LT. More like an RT on steroids. In my biased opinion I think that the LT offers better protection which I enjoyed today after riding thru LA in the rain to get home in Vegas. The menu driven controls are not my favorite but the engine is something to die for. Seating looks and feels great.( 32 in. inseam) and I sat in a relaxed upright position. The bags and top box are not as good as the LT nor as useful. BMW raised the inside of the bags to acommadate the exhaust pipes. So the is a hump in both bags running the full length of each bag. The front signal lights are LED and look great. The rear drive looks beefy too. Will I sell my LT to buy one, NO! Of course I haven't test drove one.
Where you on the GTL or GT?
Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts