BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is coming in on Tuesday and I want to take him to the Hill Country for a couple of days (he will ride my other bike, the Vstrom 650). I would like to ask those of you close by (Dick!) or otherwise familiar what highlights I should show him and recommendations for where to stay for a night.

I have been there once about a month ago. I went to the San Antonio Riders rally in Llano and rode around for a few days. I would like to show my brother the Willow City loop, Luckenbach, and then down to Leakey to ride the 3 Sisters. We will have just a day maybe two.

In some quick Internet searches I found a couple of places that have some cabins in Leakey. Seems like a good area, on the river, nice town with some options for dinner. One place I am looking at is the Frio Springs Lodges in Leakey. Does anyone have any experience with them? Any other recommendations? Any other towns I should consider? Any other places I should go see?

We will depart Houston (Cypress) early Tuesday morning so not much time for a lot of back and forth. I will have access to email by phone and maybe wifi after we get out there.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry M
2004 K1200GT
2005 Vstrom 650

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Stay tuned, Jerry - lemme git organized here and I'll share some info with you and your brother. Gotta find my paper map - be right back.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
OK, Jerry - here ya go. I sure hope you can work in a two day trip, at least.

Coming out of Houston, take 290 west THRU Austin and you want to get to Blanco. Best way is to do 290 thru Dripping Springs and 7 or 8 miles beyond D.S., look for the road sign saying "Henley" - watch for a left turn off of 290 onto 165. Take curvy 165 to a tee at it's end; turn right and take that road across the bridge and thru the stoplight at 281 and continue. Watch for a left turn onto 1888 and take that curvy road to it's tee; turn right and as soon as you cross a bridge, turn left into Luckenbach. You can grab a burger lunch in Luckenbach, or continue on to 290 and turn left into Fredricksburg - many good restaurants in F'burg.

F'burg's main street is 290 and once you pass the Nimitz museum on main, watch for hwy 16. Here you can go right to find Willow City Loop road (although, our Bluebonnet season is pretty dismal this year due to lack of rain and were it me, I'd bypass W.C.L. in favor of getting on west to the Hill Country). If you do bypass W.C.L, then take a left on 16 and go thru Kerrville and continue on to Medina. In Medina, turn right onto 337 and take it thru Vanderpool and on into Leakey. In Leakey, go thru the stoplight and +/- a mile or so, look for Bent Rim motorcycle store on your left - nice little cafe and a small apparel room. Good folks to chat with, and they for sure can tell you the scoop on the Frio Springs Lodges. I don't have any info on the Lodges.

Jerry, that'll be a pretty much all day ride, if you don't stay in Luckenbach too long. Grab a souvenir and maybe a soda or sumpthin'. You do NOT wanna be in the saddle beyond sundown. Deer are everywhere, and scary stoopid.

For a return run to Houston, you can take 83 north outta Leakey (83 runs MX border to CDN border) to Junction, turn right onto IH-10E and pick up 290 after Segovia. Then 290 back to F'burg and if you wanna do W.C.L. you could take a left on 16 and go north to W.C.L. on your right. It loops back to 16, and you would take a left back into F'burg to pick up 290 for the run home.

I think you need a week!!!! :histerica

Hope this helps, Jerry. Tall order, but watch the weather - they're promising rain mid-week, butt they've been wrong before. And btw, say "Hi" to Gary and Mary Droege for me, next time you converse with 'em. Best regards - ride safe.

BTW #2 - check all this on a paper map if you have one. I can't find mine, so memory-challenged will be my excuse if you get lost!! :bmw:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply, Dick. Oh, wait a minute, don't go too fast... Where is my Rand McNally? Ok, Google Maps will have to do. Ok, go ahead... Ok, I see now. Austin down to Luckenbach, skip Willow City, not a bad idea, then down to Leakey. Great strategy for a quick run out there and back.

Really appreciate the quick reply and nice way to attack it. Wish we had more time but I want to show him some of the country so he will come back again and WANT to take more time. He flies for UPS so has to manage his time off for family. So that's why the quick trip.

Thanks again, hope to see you at the next RTE!

Jerry

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
River Inn Resort in Hunt is a good place. They have little kitchenettes in the rooms and it sits right on the Guadalupe River.

Hunt is just outside of Kerrville and makes it really easy to get to the 3 Sisters (335, 336, 337).

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hey, Jerry - you and your bro have a great vacation over here.

Friend (Nils Marr) just down the road from me flys/flew for UPS; rides BMWs; and prolly/maybe knows your bro. If so, would have been great to get y'all together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Dick I will ask him. Will let you know how the trip goes. Looks like rain will come Thursday (if at all) so we should be good there. In fact, it looks like it will be not as hot out there as around Houston. They are calling for mid-90's around here for the next couple of days and mid-80's around Fredericksburg.

Have I mentioned how much we love being in Texas lately?? Kansas City is a great little town but it is in Kansas...

Jerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to Doug as well for the tip. I think we are set for now but I will take your recommendation for the next trip.

Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts