BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the SEARCH function for Locks, Barrels, CLS, etc and I can't find any previous threads that fit my situation.

2005 LT with CLS.

1. The stingray lock turns with the key.
2. It feels like the stingray lock solenoid is moving with the CLS pushbuttons.
3. The lock will not depress in either case.

I can't push the lock down to get the stingray open.

I tried the 45 Deg trick from the owner's manual, but the lock still will not push down.

Any ideas? I think I will be leaving the DC beltway area at the crack of dawn Thur for the RA rally in Canaan Valley.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if ther was a previous thread that I missed.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
Sounds like the wrong size screw in the left side of the stingray "tounge" right next to the lock. This binds up the lever from the CLS actuator. You need a very short screw here.

Often you can give the lock a sharp rap with the palm of your hand and it will pop open. The 45 degree key trick will not work here. Once you do get it open remove the offending screw and all will be back to normal.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Thanks for the reply.

I wish I could open the stingray cover so I could get to the screws.

On my 2002 LT, I did not have to worry about length of screws affecting locks. The 2005 with CLS is new to me.

I can feel the solenoid, but I can't depress the lock. It has turned into a Catch 22.

At least now I know where to focus my effforts.

Thanks again,
Glenn

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
Get a piece of wood and set it on the lock and give it a good rap with a hammer (the block of wood of course). The door should pop open.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts