BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT, Premium package
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, l messed up. I got a new 49L touring top case. Long story short, the supplier messed up the order, sent the top case but not the locking cylinder. I in my excitement, hooked up the case to the central locking anyway and now can't get it open. Any solutions? I tried disconnecting it but no joy.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
The central locking should also unlock. The lock cylinder has nothing to do with it at all! The two works quite independently, and if you refer to your manual in regard to the central locking, you should see the caution about that, in particular if you actually use the key to lock any of the cases, then the central locking will NOT be able to unlock it!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,192 Posts
If you can get to the central locking connector just apply 12V to the two pins if it does not unlock then reverse the connection and try again.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT, Premium package
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it fixed. Just used a large flat head screwdriver to turn the latch where the tumbler would be. Needless to say, I disconnected the power until I get the codeable cylinder installed.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Got it fixed. Just used a large flat head screwdriver to turn the latch where the tumbler would be. Needless to say, I disconnected the power until I get the codeable cylinder installed.
I suspect that you mean you used the screwdriver to push the latch release, because that is what would have happened if you had the tumbler in there! The actual locking happens when you use the central locking to lock (in that case, your screwdriver would NOT have released the latch), or when you turn the key to the lock position, IF you had the lock cylinder installed!

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
BTW, andersondm14, you can keep the power connector connected. As I said, what you experienced has absolutely nothing to do with the locks. The way the latch works is just like how the latch on your panniers works. You need to have the lock barrel in place to be able to unlatch (NOT unlock) the release tab to allow you to release the pannier off the bike, or open the case for your top case. When you turn the key to the lock position, that prevents the lock barrel from moving inward to activate the release mechanism. There are no "turning" actions on any of the mechanism. All that you needed to do, to release the latch without having the lock barrel in place, is poke something in that hole and push to activate the release mechanism!

IMHO, you made the right choice with going for the BMW powered top case, especially if you also add the optional LEDs to the rear. This will give you a set of brake light up high, in addition to your regular tail light, where it will be more visible to car drivers behind you! There are also available 3rd party electronic module available that will turn that up high set of LED into running light (just like your regular tail light) as well as allow you to program the action of that top brake light for programmable flash-when-activate, or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts