BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 k1200lt went to go for a ride today. Started the bike and went vto straighten the wheel and it won't turn. The steering is locked and won't release. Does any one have any ideas what is wrong??

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Likely your ignition switch is broken. I would go back to "off" and then wiggle the handlebars and the key at the same time to see if it will come loose. You may have a problem similar to shutting a car or truck off and then turning the steering wheel into the lock position which keeps torque on it, making it difficult to turn the key back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried moving the bars so there is no pressure on the lock that doesn't work!!!! Stripped the plastic off so I can get at the lock jiggled wires, tapped the unit still no luck. I am getting soooo frustrated with this problem can't figure it out. to change the unit is a major job.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You probably already tried this but thought I would throw it out anyway -

I've had mine lock up once, but got it to unlock by pulling the handlebar closer in to the bike and then turning the key to release the lock.

Did you actually start the bike with the handle bar still in the lock position? Just trying to understand your first post.

Greg

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
have you tried lubrication, if you drip a light oil, I use chain saw bar oil, it will travel all the way down through the assy - I have been using it for years on my bikes because they sit outside all summer rain or shine and the switch is exposed to the weather.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I think this may be a first - I can't ever remember this issue coming up before?
First time I've seen this one. I've never had that part of my LT opened up so not sure how the lock works or what plausible failure modes exist.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have stripped most of the plastic off the front end to access the lock assembly. I tried putting lube in the key assembly still no luck. I can't seem to do anything to release the lock and now the key won't come out when it is in the locked steering position? Looks like the whole key assembly must be faulty. It is a real pain to change. I will have to trailer the bike to the BMW Dealer 2 1/2 hours away and have them deal with it. I will keep you informed what happens.

Thanks every one for the replys

·
Registered
513 Posts
check with your insurance company or your cell phone company; if you have towing they "may" authorize a company to tow it all the way to the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts