BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any K1200LT owners had their lock plate on the top box crack, fracture or disintegrate. I have seen at least 2 and been advised that a 3rd bike suffered a fracture of this plate; which holds the lock.

In order to replace it a whole new lower box needs to be purchased at over £400 but if a number of bikes are suffering the problem, then perhaps BMW would investigate the issue; I am certainly planning on asking them but in order to do it justice I need to know how many other owners are affected.

If you can let me know, I would be very grateful.

Lis

ps- it's not mine, it belongs to a friend, I'm too short to get an LT unless these hydraulic stabilisers get fitted as standard. I am giving him a hand at trying to find out how many bikes have suffered from the problem.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hey Lis,

Yup - pretty common. Many,many topics, threads about it. As well known and likely occures more often than the final drive issue. Even a few folks working to develop some aftermarket replacements (None, including my own, delivered yet - it's tougher to do than it looks.)

There're a few threads on preventative measures as well. Steps vary from modifying the latch pins and gaskets of the top trunk to just pushing down on the lid before latching.

Do NOT use the latch to pull the lid down!!

That's the biggie.

One common method of 'fixing' is to find a wrecked LT - buy the top box off it and use those parts for repair. LT top boxes go fast in the aftermarket arena.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just had mine replaced under waranty at BMW Milwaukee. Also went for a ride with another LT'er yesterday that hade the same problem on his 2000 lt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

for the information, it appears to be a fault with the LT design or materials used for the latch. I am trying to compile a response to BMW to try and get design changes made (even using different materials would be of some help), finding crashed/broken LTs in the UK was proving difficult so the owner ended up buying the new base from BMW - expensive but little choice at the time.

Many thanks

Lis

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the pointer on forcing the latch to close the hinge, I have a new LT and have been a bit careless about this, will make a real effort to hold it closed and latch it!

LT owners are not alone in these foibles, my 2002 Goldwing had an open hatch indicator and the saddlebags and top case took a routine thump from my fist to reset the latch switch, the pain was that I had to do it after getting seated and starting the bike. Hard luggage likely presents some real design challenges.

cheers

Bruce

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Good luck trying for the design changes. Also check the HoW [g.13] for more discussion of the problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just wondering if the best short term plan of attack is to attempt to get BMW to make the latch handle available as a spare part on its own. Possibly lobbying through this site as a group, and seeking individual support through dealer contact to BMWNA can bring some change in the decision to supply the full trunk base only. There must be some path to get to Customer Support staff at the head office level.

Steve Collier
'01 KLT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts