BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All;

Just general question. always about bikes but not really.
We will be moving from Florida to Va in the near future.
Our daughter/grand-kids live in Virginia beach.
So question is. where can we live between her and the mountains.
Dont need to be IN the mountains, maybe less than 30 minutes, but
not real close to Va Beach.
Ideas.

Zeke

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,588 Posts
It depends on how close you want to be near your daughter or the mountains. Richmond is kind of in the middle with it being 105 miles from VA beach and 70 miles from Charlottesville, which is close to the mountains. I live in Williamsburg which is about 60 miles from VA beach and 110 miles from Charlottesville.

Richmond has some good suburbs like Chesterfield County. I do not know about Charlottesville. Charlottesville or Richmond is a straight shot to either the mountains of VA beach via I-64.

Richmond has a good BMW club that meets once a month and usually does a group ride after breakfast and their meeting.
http://www.rbmwr.com/

Feel free to send me a email (mtrevelino (at) hotmail.com) if you want.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you saying that you want to be within 30 minutes of the grandkids in Virginia Beach or within 30 min of the mountains? I don’t want to rattle of potential options if I’m way off base.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Consider a series of geographical radius(es) along an area between Staunton/Fishersville/Waynesboro east toward Charlottesville. Great rural scenic roads, but yet crisscrossed by enough interstate and multi-lane highways to get to major points rather quickly. It has been years since I spent much time in the region, but I have fond memories of time I spent up that way in grad school. Much urban sprawl has occurred since then but there remains some pretty well protected rural environments in addition to being within reasonable striking distance to enjoy all the Shenandoah region has to offer.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying that you want to be within 30 minutes of the grandkids in Virginia Beach or within 30 min of the mountains? I don’t want to rattle of potential options if I’m way off base.
30 minutes of the mountains. for a quick ride when I need to escape. The grand kids is more a weekend thing anyways.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hard to beat Floyd VA. Right in the Appalachians, thriving community and not too far from big cities. Contact Jim Ford of “The Rider’s Workshop” for a great riding school and introduction to a smattering of the hidden motorcycle roads in the area. [email protected].

Plan B, for me, would be Charlottesville VA. It is a college town with easy access to DC, and VA Beach.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you end up?:wave
Still stuck in south Florida.
we are going up to VA for July 4th and will be looking at the areas for open houses. Weat of Suffolk and where ever else we end up. 3 days of just roaming.
Any suggestions?

1 acre land, rural, but not middle of nowhere. just a little bit of the middle of nowhere.. lol

Zeke

·
Registered
13 Posts
The suggestions in the thread are good ones. The southwest (Bristol to Roanoke) is very remote, as is the NC border area. East of the Blue Ridge mountains is more populated and has what you are looking for.
The thing to do would be find a temporary way to live while you put some miles on the bike exploring.

Best of luck and welcome to Va.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts