BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
I suppose in this case "good" is arguable. I'd go more with "good enough." But hey, I'm the guy running with no mirrors and scratches on the right saddlebag that are nearing two years old now. So what do I know? :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I stole Ken's idea - now I just need to find a nice little rubber boot to fit over it. I'm thinking that the ones used to cover battery terminals on an auto should be perfect. The switch was $2.85 and took - oh - about 5 minutes to mount. ;)

Now I gotta' figure out where to put my cool little amber strobe warning light on the rear of the trailer... beside a backup warning the strobe will make a nice extra emergency flasher for roadside stops - just put it in reverse.
Nice and FAST job, Ron. I have to admit that it never popped in to my mind either to mount the switch on the outside of the fairing.
But I had the advantage of the bike being all apart anyway. Still getting the reverse lever shaft support removed was quite a task. There is one allen bolt (obviously one that also ties the tranny to the engine block) which is hard to reach, screwed in with loctite and awful long so I ended up removing the exhaust system as well in order to have better access to this darn bolt...(This I did on purpose since I would have needed to remove it anyway for installing a new Remus Street muffler to replace the loud Sport can I have.)

So, if putting the limit switch inside the fairing would have been my only job and stripping the right side of the bike all naked + removing the exhaust system was necessary I might have considered an easier way too...:)

Best regards

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
pozo_izquierdo said:
Nice and FAST job, Ron. I have to admit that it never popped in to my mind either to mount the switch on the outside of the fairing.
But I had the advantage of the bike being all apart anyway. Still getting the reverse lever shaft support removed was quite a task. There is one allen bolt (obviously one that also ties the tranny to the engine block) which is hard to reach, screwed in with loctite and awful long so I ended up removing the exhaust system as well in order to have better access to this darn bolt...(This I did on purpose since I would have needed to remove it anyway for installing a new Remus Street muffler to replace the loud Sport can I have.)

So, if putting the limit switch inside the fairing would have been my only job and stripping the right side of the bike all naked + removing the exhaust system was necessary I might have considered an easier way too...:)

Best regards
I DO have the advantage of pretty much never worrying about rain or moisture related problems.... I think if I was in your neighborhood I would put it inside as well Ari. I plan on packing the boot with some clear RTV silicone before (carefully) mounting it with just the lever arm sticking out.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ah, perfect! Thanks Mark -that should do the trick~! ...on the wiring, AND in the box ;)

Ari, did you catch this?
BTW. I did your Ghetto trunk mod on my LT a few years back. Awesome mod. My wife was surprised how helpful that extra inch is..

21 - 27 of 27 Posts