BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a hot lead when the reverse switch is engaged. Any one know what wire/color/location to tap?

I am putting electric brakes on my trailer and need this to trigger the bypass function on my controller to turn the brakes OFF when backing. I could certainly put a switch in line - but that would be way too easy.

PLUS I just gotta' have a "beep beep" backup alarm and lights for sh*** and giggles...

I know I can spend $40.00 for a wiring diagram from BMW... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Ask Ari

RonKMiller said:
gotta' have a "beep beep" backup alarm and lights for sh*** and giggles..

Hey Ron

You might ask Ari, awhile back he was trying to puzzle this out for a tree avoidance device. He was trying to install a park aid sound alert. You know the kind that you can get in cars now for the little old ladies….:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Yes Gentlemen,

I was indeed looking for this hot wire too. I did quite a bit of searching but did not find a wire with proper voltage. For instance the wires that come out from the reverse knob limit switch don't help. They only have some low voltage (could it be something to do with the Motoronic or instrument cluster, I don't know).

Anyway I quit searching as I'm not enough of an electrician (and don't have the bike wiring schematics) and decided to install one more little switch on the right handlebar (where BMW used to have the light switch) and have that to command a relay that feeds my reverse radar.

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I need to find a hot lead when the reverse switch is engaged. Any one know what wire/color/location to tap?

I am putting electric brakes on my trailer and need this to trigger the bypass function on my controller to turn the brakes OFF when backing. I could certainly put a switch in line - but that would be way too easy.

PLUS I just gotta' have a "beep beep" backup alarm and lights for sh*** and giggles...

I know I can spend $40.00 for a wiring diagram from BMW... ;)
On the pre-05's, you could use the feed from the Starter/Reverser Controller to the dash light bulb for the reverser symbol for a relay control signal -- brown w/yellow stripe; pin 5 on the large controller connector -- probably easier to find/tap at the back of the instrument cluster.

BTW, Ron, came home late from the office last night and found a box waiting for me. :) First run to the office this morning. Feedback to follow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mneblett said:
On the pre-05's, you could use the feed from the Starter/Reverser Controller to the dash light bulb for the reverser symbol for a relay control signal -- brown w/yellow stripe; pin 5 on the large controller connector -- probably easier to find/tap at the back of the instrument cluster.

BTW, Ron, came home late from the office last night and found a box waiting for me. :) First run to the office this morning. Feedback to follow!
Ah, perfect! Thanks Mark -that should do the trick~! ...on the wiring, AND in the box ;)

Ari, did you catch this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,330 Posts
RonKMiller said:
PLUS I just gotta' have a "beep beep" backup alarm and lights for sh*** and giggles...
I bet that would be cool. I have seen it on two different Gold Wings and thought it was funny...but cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
russte said:
Hey Ron

You might ask Ari, awhile back he was trying to puzzle this out for a tree avoidance device. He was trying to install a park aid sound alert. You know the kind that you can get in cars now for the little old ladies….:)
Thanks Tom - tree avoidance while backing up? YIKES!

I need one for going forward! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Thanks Tom - tree avoidance while backing up? YIKES!
Don't laugh! A short story: 25 yrs ago, my step-father and I were eating breakfast one Sat. morning in the kitchen, when one of us caught sight of my teen-aged sister's '70 Mavrick in front of the house -- with a (literally) 3-foot deep "V" in the tail/trunk lid. Now for background, this was her "wild child" time, and we knew she was out partying the night before.

So, a half-hour later, sis comes stumbling, blurry-eyed, out of her room into the kitchen. As she's passing by, step-father causally asks what's up with the car. She stops walking, squints (painfully) into the morning sun and looks out to the car, and sez (and I quote):

"The tree wasn't there when I parked."

I almost died laughing on the floor.

Once again proving that alcohol, my sister, and a Mavrick with a 302 Windsor shoe-horned in was a baaaaad combination, looking for a place to happen :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mom never had an accident on a public roadway in 50 years of driving. She did, however, have three in our driveway - all while backing up. The side of the garage once, and THE SAME TREE twice.

My dad was NOT amused.

I remember a 12 year old smart ass kid rolling around in the grass for half an hour laughing hysterically after the second tree hit.

My Mom was NOT amused.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Ah, perfect! Thanks Mark -that should do the trick~! ...on the wiring, AND in the box ;)

Ari, did you catch this?
Yes Sir, but

there are two large connectors behind my instrument cluster and since I could not find a proper 12 V in the most likely place (reverser knob limit switch) I kinda thought that there is only this "computer voltage" in the instrument cluster as well. Obviously there must be a proper 12 V in the reverser circuit somewhere, but I decided to solve my problem the easier way.

In any case I will look for this brown / yellow wire from the large connectors and check if it has proper voltage. Thanks Mark for the hint.

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
Yes Sir, but

there are two large connectors behind my instrument cluster and since I could not find a proper 12 V in the most likely place (reverser knob limit switch) I kinda thought that there is only this "computer voltage" in the instrument cluster as well. Obviously there must be a proper 12 V in the reverser circuit somewhere, but I decided to solve my problem the easier way.

In any case I will look for this brown / yellow wire from the large connectors and check if it has proper voltage. Thanks Mark for the hint.

Regards
Just a warning to be careful, Ari, as I do *not* yet have an '05 electrical schematic, and the '05 bikes were *extensively* rewired as comparted to the pre-'05s (essentially a new bike from that perspective). Thus, it is highly likely that the brown/yellow wire at the reverser is NOT a 12V supply to the new design instrument cluster -- particularly since the reverser indicator in the dash is no longer a 12V bulb, but a low-voltage LED element soldered into the instrument cluster circuit board.

I definitely would not "hunt around" and guess with this, but instead would track down the solution with an '05 schematic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
mneblett said:
Just a warning to be careful, Ari, as I do *not* yet have an '05 electrical schematic, and the '05 bikes were *extensively* rewired as comparted to the pre-'05s (essentially a new bike from that perspective). Thus, it is highly likely that the brown/yellow wire at the reverser is NOT a 12V supply to the new design instrument cluster -- particularly since the reverser indicator in the dash is no longer a 12V bulb, but a low-voltage LED element soldered into the instrument cluster circuit board.

I definitely would not "hunt around" and guess with this, but instead would track down the solution with an '05 schematic.
Yes Mark,

I promise to be careful and I have exactly the same doubts about NOT finding 12 V behind the instrument cluster, at least not in the reverser indicator light.
And thinking more about it: those two multi-pin connectors seem so well covered and protected that they are likely to discourage me from tampering with them in the first place...

Regrads
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,563 Posts
Here's a thought, Ari. Can't you put your own switch down near the reverser knob? Something that activates when the knob is turned? That way you wouldn't mess with the factory wiring at all, but rather just have a mechanical connection that trips a whole new circuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
meese said:
Here's a thought, Ari. Can't you put your own switch down near the reverser knob? Something that activates when the knob is turned? That way you wouldn't mess with the factory wiring at all, but rather just have a mechanical connection that trips a whole new circuit.
Thanks Ken for the idea. I currently have a switch which I installed in the right handlebar (in place where the old models used to have the headlight switch) but I'm not 100 % happy with the solution since I have to REMEMBER to to turn the "reversing radar" on or otherwise it will not warn me before I hit the tree...

So adding a separate small limit switch in the reverser knob axle would take care of the remembering.
I like this, thanks again. In any case I need to hunt some small limit switches which I will need in my power seat project, so one more for the reverser goes in the same bankrupcy...

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
meese said:
Here's a thought, Ari. Can't you put your own switch down near the reverser knob? Something that activates when the knob is turned? That way you wouldn't mess with the factory wiring at all, but rather just have a mechanical connection that trips a whole new circuit.
Ken, here the result of your idea.
Thanks for the input!

Regards
 

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,563 Posts
Nice job, Ari. I was thinking more of a micro-switch, maybe even sealed to prevent water intrusion, but that should work just fine.

I think I need to borrow some of your winter. I have a whole pile of farkles to add, but don't want to tear the bike down and miss any good riding. I hate it when I have to choose between wrenching and riding. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
meese said:
Nice job, Ari. I was thinking more of a micro-switch, maybe even sealed to prevent water intrusion, but that should work just fine.

I think I need to borrow some of your winter. I have a whole pile of farkles to add, but don't want to tear the bike down and miss any good riding. I hate it when I have to choose between wrenching and riding. :)
Yeah, I know, the switch I used is not exactly a "micro-switch".
Actually I found a couple of those as well in the "old electrical parts box" of our company.
However, I used the bigger switch since it happened to have a longer trigger arm and thus it was easier to fix the actuating plate in the shaft. Plus the switch had "IP 64" rating and there was plenty of space to use...

And I would gladly share some our winter with you. ;) Today -25 C and not at all hard to choose between wrenching and riding for another two months. I hope I will find all my bikes parts when the time comes to put it back together....

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
meese said:
Nice job, Ari. I was thinking more of a micro-switch, maybe even sealed to prevent water intrusion, but that should work just fine.

I think I need to borrow some of your winter. I have a whole pile of farkles to add, but don't want to tear the bike down and miss any good riding. I hate it when I have to choose between wrenching and riding. :)
I stole Ken's idea - now I just need to find a nice little rubber boot to fit over it. I'm thinking that the ones used to cover battery terminals on an auto should be perfect. The switch was $2.85 and took - oh - about 5 minutes to mount. ;)

Now I gotta' figure out where to put my cool little amber strobe warning light on the rear of the trailer... beside a backup warning the strobe will make a nice extra emergency flasher for roadside stops - just put it in reverse.
 

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,563 Posts
I dunno Ron, I don't think I'd mount it on the outside of the fairing. Even with a bit of rubber, it's just not neat enough. Of course, it does go with your Ghetto trailer. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
meese said:
I dunno Ron, I don't think I'd mount it on the outside of the fairing. Even with a bit of rubber, it's just not neat enough. Of course, it does go with your Ghetto trailer. :)
EXCELLENTO PIMENTO!

Cheap, fast and good. You CAN have all three! ;)
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top