BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am making progress with the install, on an 05 LT where do you locate the actual Baehr system? I think someone mentioned on top of the battery but it seems like it doesn't really fit very well. Are there any other options for locating it?
Thanks all

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Everything I've read says it goes on top of the battery. If you find a better place let us/me know, I'm going to buy one in the next month or three.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
PMs already sent, but in case others care:

The intercom typically sits on top of the battery. The junction box (labeled "RP4", I think) fits nicely in the smaller space beneath the passenger seat. You've said in your PM that your Baehr is not fitting on top of the battery -- interacting with the pre-load adjustment knob. I don't have that problem... ?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Baehr Unit Under Seat

mpillis said:
Ok I am making progress with the install, on an 05 LT where do you locate the actual Baehr system? I think someone mentioned on top of the battery but it seems like it doesn't really fit very well. Are there any other options for locating it?
Thanks all
Here is how mine fit in on a 2000. Took the photos when I connected the 2730 XM stereo to the #1 input. It fits in after you find a home for all the leads that are involved. It is designed to go here and the lead lengths are set up for this location. Let me know if you need to see more photos.
Barnett

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the system sitting on top of the battery, velcro strapping keeps it in place. I have run my connection for my helmet up throught the handle bar and this keeps the cord out of the`way, If you want photos of how I have set mine up I can post these shortly if you like.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have installed the Baehr "Autocom style" on top of the left saddlebag. As the Baehr unit is longer than Autocom I used Dremel to cut one or two support ribs off in order to make it a better fit. Regular Velcro on the bottom holds it in place.

The little junction box I installed under the trunk where many of you guys have the emission filter / canister.

The problem with this installation is that the cord where rider connects his helmet set does not reach any more to the original location (next to the oddment box lock).

Why I did it this way? I also have the Baehr Capo II bike-to bike radio in which the used channel is chosen by flipping the small pins (or how do you call them in English..) in different positions under a small rubber cap (see pic). I figured that this procedure I might have to do more often than fiddling with the Baehr settings so I decided to put the Capo II on top of the battery. This Capo also came with one extra cord that solved my too short riders cord problem.
And while I was working with the connectors I improved them with a simple method as described here:

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=243220&page=&view=&sb=&o=

Best regards

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for all the help

I think I can move forward now. Hope to have it done soon.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
mpillis said:
I think I can move forward now. Hope to have it done soon.
Great.

One thing that may help is to remember that wilbar00c's pic is taken from the right side of the bike. This will make a difference in where the bundle of cables exit the intercom. They should be exiting towards the front of the bike, which is the right side of his picture. Apologies if that was obvious.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bottom line, however you install it, you will love it. Work really great!

·
Registered
323 Posts
When I bought the bike ('05) used, it had a Baehr com installed. The unit was on top of the battery. Everything was quite close under the seat but it was all snuggled in nicely. The problem came when I lowered the seat. (27" inseam) The seat pan rested on top of the Baehr unit and with my added weight I didn't like it.

My wife and I are not big fans of an intercom probably as a result of many years of riding the old twins where we learned the nuances of silent communication.

I am now in the business of relocating the Baehr unit. I tried the cannister location. Didn't like it because it wasn't a good fit and the bike is still under warranty. Presently it is on its side with controls facing up and directly behind the battery. In order to do this I had to cut back the plexi protection for the rubber plugs on the control unit as much as possible and rotate one of the positive leads from the battery 90 degrees clockwise. This is the connection to the left and behind the battery.

The fit is tight, and at this point doesn't appear to need to be secured any further. Although I am ok with the location I am not completely happy. If anyone has a better option I would consider it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone

I have mounted mine also on top of the battery. It is angled a little to avoid the rear shock absorber knob. All the wires is tight under there but think I have figured it out.
Thanks again all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts