BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could splice into some wires under the handlebar covers to connect up a mobile and cam charger cable. If it is possible, does anyone know what wires I can splice into. Or, is there any other location I can add a phone and cam charger cable to somewhere close to the handlebars....thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could splice into some wires under the handlebar covers to connect up a mobile and cam charger cable. If it is possible, does anyone know what wires I can splice into. Or, is there any other location I can add a phone and cam charger cable to somewhere close to the handlebars....thanks

There are no wires under the handlebar covers to accommodate that I know of, you would have to use the light above the dash.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
The light above the dash is your best bet. You could also tap in near the head light and fish the wires up through the handle bar covers. There is no source in the bar covers that could handle the additional load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The light above the dash is your best bet. You could also tap in near the head light and fish the wires up through the handle bar covers. There is no source in the bar covers that could handle the additional load.
Thanks everyone for the advice

·
Registered
738 Posts
Do you still have the radio system in? I pulled the radio out to use the compartment more. If it is out, maybe tap into the radio power source.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I tapped off the map light above the dash for my Zumo GPS with a double spade connector. It's switched . One terminal powers the light. The other runs up the handle bar cover and out to the GPS.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I tapped off the map light above the dash for my Zumo GPS with a double spade connector. It's switched . One terminal powers the light. The other runs up the handle bar cover and out to the GPS.
Do you happen to have any pics of that? Sounds like exactly what I want to do to mount my phone for GPS use.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Don't think i have any pics. I can look.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thats very close to what i used. Mine is 90°

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you happen to have any pics of that? Sounds like exactly what I want to do to mount my phone for GPS use.
Here is what I did. I added a 2 port USB power supply. It has the added bonus of a digital volt meter. It is wired to a Fuzebock FZ1 power distribution block that is wired to the battery. This allows me to add many different fused circuits to the bike. I can choose to have them as constant on or keyed. I will be adding a cell phone holder to the location where the BMW GPS is normally mounted. Then I will use a 1' USB cable to power the phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's nifty. I like it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I pulled out the intercom port under the left handlebar and replaced it with a Powerlet port, then plugged in one of these little gizmos.

For power, since I don't need more than 2.1 amps, I used small Posi-Taps to tap into the power and ground wires going to the radio which reside directly under that panel. I've used Posi's for years on a variety of bikes and I'm very happy with them. I made the pigtail from the Powerlet long enough to make it easy to connect and disconnect the spade connectors when pulling off or re-installing that panel.

And since the radio power is switched, I don't have to worry about the Optimate charging plug creating a parasitic drain, even if it doesn't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts