BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful day in North Texas today. Mid 70's, sunny, gorgeous. Got my stuff around the house done, geared up, aired up the tires, headed out for a couple-hour ride. Less than a mile from the house did come custom body work on the LT.

We had a wicked ice and snow storm here about 3 weeks ago, and being Northern Texas, they don't use salt, they throw sand on the roads...sand that never disappears. Well, I turned a corner into the sun and hit a patch of leftover sand and "Down Goes Frazier!!!"

Must have looked pretty interesting to the people behind me as 1,100 pounds of LT and me danced across two lanes of separated roadway, then pirouetted two or three times (I think).

Fortunately, I was geared up with ballistic jacket, gauntlet gloves, full face helmet, kevlar jeans, etc. Shoulder is banged up, wicked headache, bike has been ground down a bit, but I'll be fine.

DID want to share a picture of the back of my helmet with everyone. The two impact areas on my Bell Star helmet would have been the base of my skull if I wasn't wearing one. I'm a proponent of freedom of decision as far as whether or not to wear whatever gear you choose to wear, but in this case, the damage marks in the picture attached would have been right at the base of my skull, even though I was probably travelling all of 10mph at the point my body made contact with the ground.

I don't preach, but it's something for everyone to think about.

Ride safe.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dang Pete. Glad you were wearing your gear especially your helmet! That wouldn't have been good in the least on your head.

Take Care.

James

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
A local preacher here was killed last week on a highway off ramp due to a wash out on sand..

Be careful. He was also wearing a helmet... Don't know what kind..

Glad you're ok..

John

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing. They did the same thing in Houston when it got cold this winter. I will keep an eye out for the leftover sand.

When I lived in Hawaii, I hit loose gravel on a parking lot on a 10 speed and the lava residue cut a large circle out of my knee.

ATGATT on the LT.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sorry to hear this Pete, but glad you are OK. Good point for all to remember in the spring riding season, that stuff is on the roads and hasn't been washed away yet. Hope the LT is OK too.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about that nasty spill but I've got no doubt you'll be up and running again in no time, and remember crushed ice on and off for 48 hours is your friend for nursing those sore spots.

That picture of your helmet is a GREAT reminder to wear mine, even if going to the corner store... good on 'ya.

I've got THIS image stapled up on the wall next to my bikes: looks like you're a 6 percent-er!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Pete,

Really glad you are 'more or less' okay! The first crash I ever had was back in 1972 on my R75. It was January in Long Island, NY but the temps had reached a suitable riding temperature. I had just done a full tune-up and was eager to head-out.

The evening was mild, but dark. And, in NY... SAND is the weapon of choice for combating ice and snow. The problem is they don't ever pick it up!

I went down HARD...I actually went through my Windjammer fairing and left a debris trail about 1/4 of a mile long...tools, clothes, bits and pieces of bike, etc..

What saved me was my trusty Bellstar helmet and many layers of cold weather padding.

To this day, I can't fathom ANYONE riding sans helmet. Its just a dumb idea.

Hope you get over the aches and pains soon, and are up and riding again ASAP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pete,

Glad you're "okay." Another public service announcement for ATGATT. Get back to 100% real soon.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Pete, glad you're ok. Take care of that shoulder.

According to Ron's helmet-gram, the chin takes most of the hits. When I had my low-side three years ago the back of my helmet received a little color makeover!

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Holy head-bounce, Pete. That's a startling photo. Glad to hear it turned out the way it did.

A good reminder for all of us!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sorry to hear about your downfall Pete but very happy to know you are ok. Your experience will go a long way to drive home the message that will benefit us all.

Mugz

·
Registered
519 Posts
Pete,
Like the others, glad to hear you are ok and the damage was to that which could be replaced or repaired. Hope you heal up and get back on that horse soon!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,172 Posts
Glad you're OK Pete!
I am being extra careful here in SOCAL after the heavy rain as there are a lot of debris and dirt/rocks on the canyons roads as Caltrans has not yet cleaned up.
I hope your bike is ridable and only sustained minimal damage.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,139 Posts
Glad you were OK Pete.

I was up in the mountains above Silver City, NM yesterday and there was a great deal of sand still on the roads. Had to take really easy and watch my lines in the corners. Made it back to the hotel without incident only to have the LT blown over from the side stand by high winds today in Las Cruces. Just cosmetic scrapes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Can't believe you know how to spell pirouette. Well done. I hope you get your LT back into shape soon and that you're pretty much OK too.

Cheers

Paul Harrington
AU

·
Registered
142 Posts
Glad your ok and safety gear does work, better to have it on then to wish you did!..

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Glad your ok!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts