BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Little help please...

Yesterday I decided that it was a great day to lubricate the shifting linkage on my LT.....sounds easy enough? I decided that I might as well take all the lower panels of to address a very minor front timing cover oil leak that had manifested its self as an occasional drop of oil on my garage floor.
The first thing I did was grab a small Tupperware container to place all the fasteners in then I attempted take off the Forward / Reverse lever. I removed the allen bolt then went to pull the Forward / Reverse lever off....it would not come off? I pulled it, rocked it, wiggled it, I even went as far as to vigorously tap it with a dead blow hammer.... nothing. I stopped for a moment, tried having happy-happy, joy-joy thoughts, took several deep breaths....pulled again, nothing? No amount of tapping, pulling, or WD-40 would defeat this cleaver adversary.
The thing that makes this the most aggravating is the fact that I am required to be very careful when trying to remove the lever to avoid scratching the plastic body work behind it?

After looking at the BMW parts microfiche it looks as if the only thing holding the lever on is the allen bolt? I often read about the levers falling off at a cost of $45.00 each so what gives? Is there some over engineered German requirement I am not aware of? Perhaps turning it to a certain position before pulling?
Having lived in Germany from 1997 to 2001 I know that the German people often take a different approah to life so I decided to go in my house and try to "be one" with my German motorcycle. To bond with my bike I chose to drink 6 Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen Beers...Aah the joys ??? of Germany.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I believe Loctite was used to keep the reverse knob from falling off. You might want to use a heat gun on that part and drink more beer but don't ride. :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Try spraying some penetrate lube in through the hole were you removed the allen screw & also down the back of the f/r lever. Leave for awhile & then try removal.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Well, it's certainly unusual. That's for sure.

Probably somebody used a little too much loctite or something.
Hell, Maybe they glued the damn thing on.

The center screw is all that holds it on. Do the other things suggested first, then,

Time to use a puller. Or a hi speed tool and cut the damn thing off.

John

·
Registered
659 Posts
That allen bolt is all that holds it on according to Clymer. I can't imagine why it would be stuck like it is...I think you just need to keep working it...sorry, not much help here. The only thing loctited is the allen bolt...you got that out. When you do get it off don't forget to loctite the allen when you re-install. Don't get it on any plastic though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Mine was quite stubborn too. When I finally got it off...I noticed a bit of corrosion in there. The knob is aluminum, the shaft is carbon steel, so not surprised I guess. Anywho, try the rope trick, give it some pulling pressure while doing some light tapping with a small hammer (maybe protect the hammer head with masking tape).

Before reinstallation, clean off that corrosion (chalky white aluminum residue) as best as posible, and put a light coating of grease/oil on the shaft.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
We ran into that problem during a tech session at CCR Gatlinburg.
All kinds of tugging, etc. didn't work.

Warm it up with a hair dryer (or heat gun but be careful not to blister the paint).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had to do the rope trick, it took quite a bit of pulling. I attached the rope to a sledge to provide some momentum. I suggest putting some masking tape on the outside of the lever for when it goes flying. Mine went across the floor. Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
yeah... just stuck... the shaft has a square end on it.. a "rope" will assist in rocking the lever... rock fore/aft then overhead/deck....

IF you have a small "puller" you can use that... just run the allen bolt almost all the way in and use the bolt head as a centering point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts