BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't see it and my pops is stuck a couple hours away right now so here's the story:
He just got his k1200 services with new tires and brakes yesterday, rode the bike home (approx 50 miles) then down to where he is today (say 100). He was washing the bike and when he took it off the center stand the front end seems to have collapsed. Either the forks have collapsed (weird) or something wasn't tightened and basically the bodywork is sitting on the front fender. Any help in how to fix this is appreciated.

thanks,
Aaron

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
spdmnky said:
Sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't see it and my pops is stuck a couple hours away right now so here's the story:
He just got his k1200 services with new tires and brakes yesterday, rode the bike home (approx 50 miles) then down to where he is today (say 100). He was washing the bike and when he took it off the center stand the front end seems to have collapsed. Either the forks have collapsed (weird) or something wasn't tightened and basically the bodywork is sitting on the front fender. Any help in how to fix this is appreciated.

thanks,
Aaron
The forks on the LT don't have springs in them, the front end has a mono-shock.

I've never heard of this happening but the front shock may have broken? Can't think of anything else to make the front end collapse except a broken shock or the tele-lever where it meets the cross brace on the forks? Either way it's not a quick fix...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,123 Posts
The telelever bolts to the fork bridge on a ball joint. Either the nut on top of the ball joint has come loose or the ball joint has separated from the fork bridge. Both are very rare as they are hi torque and green loctite items but there have been a few. That is about the only thing that will "collapse" the front end.

Here you can see the little dome cap on the top of the ball joint just behind the forks.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts