BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the posts and links. I was beginning to think that I was dragging up something like what kind of oil do you use. Maybe next time I need a battery I will look at these again. But with the lack of any user support I will order something with a proven track record this time.

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
High_Plains_Drifter said:
My gel cell won't hold a charge time for a new battery. Has any one tried the Shorai Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery?
Yes. See details here: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62343&highlight=shorai

I do need to update this. I found out this spring that the Shorai charger had stopped working sometime during the late winter. I can't remember when I last checked it, but apparently it had been INOP for 8 weeks or so as the Shorai battery was down to less than 7 volts.

I contacted Shorai and they admitted that the charger has a flaw that sometimes prevents it from recovering from a power failure without manual intervention. We had occasional power glitches in the winter due to ice, trees on the lines, etc. and I never have had a charger that didn't come back online after a power outage.

My battery would not take a charge so Shorai replaced it under warranty. They offered me a new model that has a larger case (for an additional $40). I thought the person said it was the same size as stock so it would not require all of the foam shimming and that made it worth the $40 as the foam is a pain to deal with. It turns out that this isn't the case. The width is the same as stock, but height and length are still less so two sides still require foam. And the top of the case is actually slightly wider than stock making it very hard to get the clamp in place.

At this point, as much as I like to use new technology and as good as the Shorai support folks have been thus far, I would not buy a Shorai again anytime soon.

The only real advantage I have seen thus far is less weight, but everything else is a disadvantage: cost, nonstandard case size, proprietary charger that has a firmware flaw, very inconvenient charger connection location and non-automotive quality cables and connectors (looks like something you would find in a PC), etc.

Maybe in a few more years someone will get Li-Ion done right for our bikes, but the Shorai is not it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had one in my bike for about 6 months and have had good luck with it. It starts quite a bit quicker and stays charged a long time. I also have one in a Yamaha Roadstar;; it's been in for over a year. It sometimes sits for over a month without starting and always starts quickly. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Alan Hinman
2000 K1200LT

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've been informed by a fella that sells most brands of motorcycle batteries told me the only drawback to lithium batteries is that in cold weather, below approx 40 degrees F, they need to "warm up" by turning key on and letting lights etc draw current for about 30 seconds before they will put out enough current for starter motor

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I'm extremely pleased with my Shorai in the FJR. The weight savings really pays on that bike due to the battery being in the upper part of the front fairing. The cranking power is amazing too. I actually appreciate the smaller-than-OEM size of the case as every cubic inch of extra space is a blessing on that bike.

·
Registered
296 Posts
While they figure out the lithium conundrum, just get an Odyssey and forgetaboutit. BYW, gel batteries are imo Crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts