BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago I replaced my OEM battery with a Shoria Lithium Iron battery. Since these batteries are rated to hold a charge for reasonable periods I did not buy the associated charger. While I don't ride as much as I used to I still manage a minimum of a couple of hundred miles weekly and the battery has performed as advertised. Unfortunately over the last 4 weeks I have been unable to ride and the bike sat idle. Anticipating a ride this weekend on Fri I checked out the bike and the battery was unresponsive. With it still connected to the bike I measured the voltage and it showed a measly 2 volts! Having read all the negatives about using a standard charger on these batteries I was concerned but threw caution to the wind and tried my regulated trickle charger with no response. I then broke out the 12v/2amp charger and connected it. After about 20 minutes the current dropped to near 0 so I disconnected the charger and measured the voltage again. This time it was 13.25 volts and 2 days later it's still showing a full charge. Seems like the battery just went to sleep due to sitting idle and it took a kick in the ass to wake it up. Can anyone tell me why this would happen?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Every modern motorcycle has some rate of parasitic draw.
When battery manufacturers claim that their batteries will hold a charge for extended times I'm sure they are referring to on the bench not connected to the vehicle. I have a Honda car that I don't drive often. The battery will draw down as much as 5 or 6 volts in about a month or so if I don't drive it or keep it on a trickle charger.
I have a automotive battery from 2012. It was in my BMW 318 until it was wrecked a year later. This battery sits on the floor in my garage not connected to anything. It holds a 12 volt charge for several months. I load test it about once a year or longer. It still passes the test. When I hook up a charger to it from time to time it will fully charge in under an hour.

If you are curious about the battery drawing down after a month and have the ability to check parasitic draw then give it a shot.
My other suggestion is ride more often. That's why we buy these expensive ultimate riding machines.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Bob. Yea I'm well aware of the parasitic draw that occurs with any modern vehicle. I also wish I could ride more often and further unfortunately sometimes health and family have priority. I am still curious as to what caused my battery to hibernate, measuring only 2 volts, until I hit it with an external 12 volts and around 4 or 5 amps for a short time. That jolt seemed to work like a defibrillator and restore the battery to full function?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
From what I have read about them, they are supposed to last a long time sitting idle. I do not have one but was thinking about it for my next battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts