BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 05 RT and the brakes were linked. I bought an 09LT and are the brakes linked like the 05 were. I do not think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
There is a big difference between the brakes on the LT and the RT. I .have owned both. On the RT when you apply the rear brake at moderate to slow speeds it does not engage the front brake. This is a big factor in better slow speed handling.

The LT has a big problem in that engaging the rear brake even at slow speeds causes the front brake to be engaged and this (in addition to the high center of gravity) is a real detriment to slow speed handling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
We discuss integrated, linked, and ABS brake systems during BRCs and I find it curious how many people don't know what kind of brakes they have (given they have a bike at home, waiting for a ride after the BRC). We also teach to slow/stop using BOTH brakes due to "some" pressure being applied to the unapplied front/rear brake with integrated and linked systems.

Do those of you with the integrated brake systems use both brakes (lever/pedal) to stop or do your braking habits only include one or the other?

Not a flame, just a serious question.
Thanks,
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wacolt said:
We discuss integrated, linked, and ABS brake systems during BRCs and I find it curious how many people don't know what kind of brakes they have (given they have a bike at home, waiting for a ride after the BRC). We also teach to slow/stop using BOTH brakes due to "some" pressure being applied to the unapplied front/rear brake with integrated and linked systems.

Do those of you with the integrated brake systems use both brakes (lever/pedal) to stop or do your braking habits only include one or the other?

Not a flame, just a serious question.
Thanks,
Curt
I bought the bike 01/15/09 and have ridden the bike 7500 miles. The brakes just feel so different then the RT. I guess I just need to take the bike of a ride and figure it out. Especially scene the bike is just sitting at home. Thanks
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,916 Posts
The linked brakes ARE biased to the rear by rear and front by front but it has nothing to do with speed. If you apply light pressure to the rear you get only rear and likewise the fronts. Anything above that "light" pressure and you get both brakes.

I get rear squeal if I stop with rear brake and I don't get squeal if I only use the front. I don't have a good definition of what I mean by "Light application" but you can determine it yourself with practise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzeiler said:
The linked brakes ARE biased to the rear by rear and front by front but it has nothing to do with speed. If you apply light pressure to the rear you get only rear and likewise the fronts. Anything above that "light" pressure and you get both brakes.

I get rear squeal if I stop with rear brake and I don't get squeal if I only use the front. I don't have a good definition of what I mean by "Light application" but you can determine it yourself with practise.
Thank you
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
jzeiler said:
The linked brakes ARE biased to the rear by rear and front by front but it has nothing to do with speed. If you apply light pressure to the rear you get only rear and likewise the fronts. Anything above that "light" pressure and you get both brakes.

I get rear squeal if I stop with rear brake and I don't get squeal if I only use the front. I don't have a good definition of what I mean by "Light application" but you can determine it yourself with practise.
On three bikes that I have helped bleed the brakes on all of which where 02 or 03 model years. Applying either brake to the point the servo assist activates applys pressure to both wheels. Not sure how much pressure front to rear but enough to pump the fluid through when doing brake flush procedure.

Roy
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,916 Posts
bigbear said:
On three bikes that I have helped bleed the brakes on all of which where 02 or 03 model years. Applying either brake to the point the servo assist activates applys pressure to both wheels. Not sure how much pressure front to rear but enough to pump the fluid through when doing brake flush procedure.

Roy
True, when flushing you can get fluid flow from either caliper with an input from either brake. I usually just use the rear pedal when flushing both front and rear. You will notice increased flow with harder application. The small amount of risidual pressure is not enough to activate the brake since the pumps start running before you really apply any braking force.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top