BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the link to the Fuel Cap Mod so you don't have us ust the key?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Mike, I dug back in the old K1200LT archives and found this thread which includes one set of instructions posted by our own John Rehder. I had David Shealey perform the mod on ours back at one of our CCR's (Santa Fe?). It has worked great ever since, and the money donated for David's labors all went to charity, so it really was a great deal! The instructions here are not the same as what David did, but may do the job.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=58971&page=&view=&sb=&o=

Hopefully others will post with further info.

Stay tuned!

John

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Dohh!

Go with Wes's post! Looks like he posted the better link while we were digging through the old stuff.

Told ya someone would respond!

John

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for the post!

Was lurking and spotted this post. Since I've always been annoyed by these locking caps I checked out both the links listed above. One gives the directions to disassemble the cap and the other tells how to make it perfect by allowing you to choose to either lock or unlock the cap. I immediately took mine to the workshop and, as advertised, ten minutes or less later I had a perfectly modified fuel cap. Many thanks!

Jim

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Best Ever Free Mod

Printed up the directions here and after getting into the "guts" of the locking mechanism, it takes just a few minutes work with a dremel tool. Best mod, as you can choose to leave the cap locked as per original or unlocked for multi fill trips. Sweet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are WAY too good. It took longer to get the bit in the Dremel Tool that it took to do the job.

If I can do it ANYONE can!

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts