1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
During 4th of July weekend in '79 was riding in a pack of about 60 motorcycles in Indiana when we got caught up in a severe thunderstorm. We all pulled over cause it was raining too hard to see. One of the riders near the front of the pack got off to walk up to a road sign. Struck by lighning, death was instantaneous. Glad to not have been closer than what I was. Change in his pocket welded together, links of his wallet chain welded together.
While growing up on a farm, thunderstorm came up, herd of cattle took shelter under a cotton wood tree. Lightning hit the tree, killed 35 cows and severly injured a few more.
Got off the road and under an overpass if you can, get in out of a thunderstorm. Lightning can ruin your day quick.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Roger That!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I will take your word for it, but maybe you can summarize the article? It looks a little long to read :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sure, inside a car made of metal the current flows around you and not through you. It is called the Faraday effect and it is the same principle that makes people safe inside an aircraft that is struck by lightning. On a motorcycle you not inside a metal cage and you are the equivalent of a lightning rod. That is why it is usually a good idea to seek shelter during severe thunder storms.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yes, they have a pecuniary interest - writing is a bit technical as well - but for some of the *best* info I've read, used and shared on lightning protection - check out Polyphaser's 'Technical Documents' section.

Hams, TD1016 should be required reading :thumb:

http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_ptd_home.aspx

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just find the section with "Faraday" in it.

The pix of current and voltage around a tree and earth does a good job of showing why being near a lightning strike can kill.

This was pulled from K1TTT's web site, who is an engineer in the lightening protection field.

Bob, 00LT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts