BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last summer lightning struck within 20' of my garaged 2004lt. It was plugged into a BMW battery tender at the time. I had just finished riding and was listening to the radio wiping the bike down when the lightning struck. After replacing two fuses under the seat there is no power to the radio, reverse will activate until the forward/reverse switch is engaged, and the accessory plug at the shifter is dead. I took all the fairings off last week and looking for the fuse under the radio with no luck. Found the picture on the site of the fuse and will complete the process again next week (DUH!) Does any one know if there are any other fused links, or relays that could be causing problems? Electrical repairs are a little rough on me. Is it worth while to take this to a dealer and let them repair this? Any help would great.

Thanks,
New Jersey Mike

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,137 Posts
I am confused by yourcomment "reverse will activate until the forward/reverse switch is engaged". Place the F/R switch in R. The dash should light up with an "R" and you go backwards when you press the starter button (engine running). Flip lever back to F the "R" on the dash goes out. What part of that is not working?

If the tender was plugged into that outlet there is a good chance the wires may have melted OR you just have not found all of the bad fuses. They may "look" OK but a check with a meter or test light will tell for sure.

And yes that 10 amp fuse for the radio is burried in the back where the main harness plugs in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reverse will run when the switch located on the right handle bar is depressed. I can here the electric reverse motor running. As soon as the reverse selector by the shifter is engaged The electric reverse motor dies out. The light on the dash board is lighting up indicating reverse. I will pull all the plastic off again and pray only the fuse is blown at the rear of the radio. People should not fear taking the fairing off of the Lt as it comes off and goes on easy!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,137 Posts
The reversing motor is the same as the starter. When you flip the lever the gears in the tranny engage and the reverser controller now receives the signal from the starter button on the handlebars and powers the starter motor. With the reverse lever in forward you are now just engaging the starter just like you were starting the bike. That is why you hear it "working".

You may have a fried controller if it was working properly before the strike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advise. I will replace the fuse at the radio and look into the controller for the starter/reverser this week end. Will post again Sunday on how the repairs worked. I hate working on electrical problems! hahahaha

·
Registered
135 Posts
Take your time checking fuses. As was previously posted, they may look OK but still be blown. I have actually had fuses appear OK, light a test light, but show open(blown) when checked with an ohm meter. I really don't know why this occurred, but it added a lot of time to locate and correct the real problem, thinking the fuse was OK when in fact it was not.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't want to stress you out but if your not skilled in diagnosing electrical issues a trip to your dealer may be in order. The electrical spikes from a lighting hit can do a lot of damage to electrical and electronics. It can be a real challenge to find all the problems. Given the potential expense you might want to seek out help from fellow riders in your area first. A service party can be a money saver and a chance to make new friends at the same time. Try posting a request in the regional board for your area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts