BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the collective brain trust on my 02's lighting. I have some small lights, motolights?, low on the forks. These have a separate switch on the tank area. These lights stay on anytime the switch is on, low and high beam. When on dim the main headlight area is dark, except for a small bulb mounted in front of the lights, behind the "glass". This little bulb appears to be an add-on with the motolights. At least that's how it appears to me.

Are my low-beam lights burned out? What am I missing?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

IA Sprint

As a side note. The bike is great, my lovely bride is even enjoying riding with me.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
My thoughts is that you have a burned out low beam. The little bulb is your parking light. I believe that this stays lit at all times with the key on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a newbie, so hope this isn't a stupid question. Is there just one bulb for the low beam, or are there two?

IA Sprint

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
You got it right you low beam is out. Your motolights are on a relay to a switched power supply. If you have a stock low beam you might try an upgrade to HID.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to get in there and see what I've got. Only had the bike 3 weeks. There are motolights and a headlight modulator, so they might have done the HID conversion. How will I be able to tell?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If you have a headlight modulator and plan on keeping it you need to NOT upgrade to HID. They are not compatible with switching the power on and off to modulate the light. Stay with the quartz lamps or lose the modulator. If it were me I would lose the modulator in favor of the vast improvement in night time visibility.

Loren

1 - 6 of 6 Posts