BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am thinking of installing smaller LED driving lights between the front forks of the 2021RT.

This may not be possible due to the compression of the forks (maximum 4.75 inches). I initially thought of locating them on the outside of the forks but that would only make them hit the fairing earlier than if they were mounted inside the forks.

Has anybody done this successfully ? If yes, can you please post a picture or two ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200RT Premium in San Marino blue
39 Posts
If you check Clearwater Lighting's website, you'll see lots examples of RT's with LED lights, with different possible mounting positions. I'm guessing that you'll want something the size of a Darla; check the first picture, with the lights mounted at the bottom of the fork.
The beautiful thing about the Clearwater kits is that they come with all the necessary mounting hardware.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
590 Posts
I've thought about putting a pair of these on the forks. Would give a better side view of when I'm turning. And cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. Make a facsimile of your front fender out of cardboard or something.

2. Put your bike on its center stand with weight on the luggage rack to lift the front wheel off the ground to ensure your fork is at full extension.

3. Mount the fender facsimile 4.75” above the actual fender. Make it 5.25” just for good measure.

That’ll tell you how much clearance you have to mount the lights.

Here’s a pic of me doing the same when I mounted extra headlights on the 1250GSA.

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. Make a facsimile of your front fender out of cardboard or something.

2. Put your bike on its center stand with weight on the luggage rack to lift the front wheel off the ground to ensure your fork is at full extension.

3. Mount the fender facsimile 4.75” above the actual fender. Make it 5.25” just for good measure.

That’ll tell you how much clearance you have to mount the lights.

Here’s a pic of me doing the same when I mounted extra headlights on the 1250GSA.

View attachment 180783
Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for....

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
I just tucked in some cheapo amazon bi color lights on my '15. Light output is surprisingly good.
Ahem .....

Ya know, it's a common curtesy on this forum to post links to the source of any new farkles ya put on your bike. Pretty rude of you not to do so.
Posting such stuff accomplishes two goals: Of course, (1) it tells us all where to find what you just installed, and more importantly (2) ...

.... it tells us all just how much of a CHEAPSKATE you really are.🤣🤣 (Of course, as "cheapskate" happens to be my own middle name, I won't mock ya .... much!) 😎

Nice install. 👍🍻

Edit: re: @BrzIRT 's question: Yes, please do. Removing them and reinstalling, capturing each step by step ... er... step, every nut and bolt, would help immensely! (Maybe it won't help you, but we'd probably find it wildly entertaining (if it's anything like what I do, including the blood and cuss words). 🧐🙈😁

·
Registered
60 Posts
For power/control Im using a new product the WunderLINQ Commander. It wont be out until next year. It allows you to use the wonder wheel to control the bike/BMW Nav system or a smart device. Im fabbing a mount to replace the BMW/garmin cradle with and 8" rugged tablet. Ill post a couple pics once I get the tablet on.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heres the tabs you can tie into, you need to replace the oem m5 bolt w a longer one and use spacers to tie in light brackets.
Automotive exterior Font Auto part Automotive wheel system Bumper

This i how the touratech uppers tie into it.
Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

and her is my mock up. I had to resize the spacer and need to clean up the angle iron and paint them
Motorcycle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

If you have heavy lights and no upper crash bars you may want to tie the spacers together over the front fender w some form angle iron. I thought of doing that but w the crash bars its plenty sturdy. If you did tie the spacers together, you could position the lights closer together and I think that's what you originally wanted...

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heres the tabs you can tie into, you need to replace the oem m5 bolt w a longer one and use spacers to tie in light brackets.
View attachment 180947
This i how the touratech uppers tie into it.
View attachment 180954

and her is my mock up. I had to resize the spacer and need to clean up the angle iron and paint them
View attachment 180951

If you have heavy lights and no upper crash bars you may want to tie the spacers together over the front fender w some form angle iron. I thought of doing that but w the crash bars its plenty sturdy. If you did tie the spacers together, you could position the lights closer together and I think that's what you originally wanted...
Thanks !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts