BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team. I have a 2003 K1200lt to replace my 2000 K1200LT that was reversed into. I have s pair of Darla D4 driving lights and they are fitted on my old bike in the top of the mirrors which I’m not happy with.

Has anyone else managed to mount these lights in a better position? Darla don’t make any mounts for the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Team. I have a 2003 K1200lt to replace my 2000 K1200LT that was reversed into. I have s pair of Darla D4 driving lights and they are fitted on my old bike in the top of the mirrors which I’m not happy with.

Has anyone else managed to mount these lights in a better position? Darla don’t make any mounts for the bike.
Clearwater does make a mount that goes underneath the mirrors. I've never seen how Darla's mount but I have Erika's under my mirrors so I'm sure that would also work for you. I believe Piaa also makes a mount that attaches to the inside of the fairing under the hi-beam

-Kevin

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have DRLs mounted below my mirrors and it's become obvious to me that they wash out the front turn signals. People just can't see the signals when I approach a turn. If that's a concern to you go lower.

I'm looking for a module that will kill the DRLs when I activate the signals.... no luck yet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have DRLs mounted below my mirrors and it's become obvious to me that they wash out the front turn signals. People just can't see the signals when I approach a turn. If that's a concern to you go lower.

I'm looking for a module that will kill the DRLs when I activate the signals.... no luck yet.
There are various ways it can be achieved, none of them complicated. Simplest of all is to wire the DRL through normally closed relay contacts and then feed the relay coil from the indicator lamp.
When the indicator lights, the DRL will go out and Vicky Verky (who is she anyway? :grin: )

Option two if you don't like the inverse flashing DRL is to use a monostable timer before the relay. That will hold it off until the last flash if you set the delay time just right.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have my Darla lights mounted on Motolight mounts on my brake calipers. They are lower than some like, but I find they work fine. I rarely ride at night, but when I do, these work amazingly. I'm more concerned for people seeing ME. I have had them for about 3 years, no issues at all. I am just waiting for Krista/Erica mix of lights from Clearwater to mount on my 2010 RT, and will put them on the crash bars-again, not as high as 'under' the mirrors. I run a yellow lens on one side during the day, removed at night.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Scimitar...

Option one has occured to me but I didn't care for the inverse flashing (vicky verky...nice).

Option two is something I'll ponder... although it seems a little messy. But thanks for the input.

I have to believe there is a plug'n play module out there. It's becoming common in the automotive/truck world with the advent of the freaking LED light show going on nowadays.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Scimitar...

Option one has occured to me but I didn't care for the inverse flashing (vicky verky...nice).

Option two is something I'll ponder... although it seems a little messy. But thanks for the input.

I have to believe there is a plug'n play module out there. It's becoming common in the automotive/truck world with the advent of the freaking LED light show going on nowadays.
Plenty, they are known as 555 timer ICs :grin: simple timer set for say 10 seconds, with the indicator feed resetting it. Even a single transistor, resistor and gurt big capacitor feeding the relay would probably do the trick.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What are the dimensions of the Darla, and what is length of mounting stem ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t have the lights as they’re still on the damaged bike at the repairers. I don’t have the shaft length but the lights are approximately 2”x2”. They’re the spots with the 4 LEDs

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If those lights have a short mounting post, 1/4 - 3/4”, my bracket may work for ya.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I mounted a pair of light on the crash bars. These are the DOT approved Fog lights from SuperBrightLEDs.com

They have a very low wide pattern, and I have them turned out to each side a bit to try to give better lighting on each side. They have enough designed in lens leakage that makes the light visible from nearly any angle. If you aim them too high so the bright area is pointing at other drives they will be flashing their high beams at you, but aimed correctly they provide good up close illumination and you are much more noticeable (and nobody has ever flashed their High beams at me, except when I have my 50W HID high beam on, which shows way down the road at night).

I used a small drill to drill up through where the highway pegs go on to make a hole in the black plastic. Then I drilled it out to 5/8" to a 3/8" nut would drop in the hole. I also drilled a 3/8" hole through a 3/8 nut to act as a spacer under the light. I went to put it all together, but found the short bolt I used went too deep in the hole and I couldn't re-install the highway pegs. I added a washer above the head of the bolt, and that wasn't quite enough, so I then ground the end of the step bolt for the highway pegs down by about 1/8", then everything went together well.

With my HID OEM headlight, I really don't see much difference with these LEDS as far as how much light I have in front of me, although they do add a bit to the sides. The key thing is more other drivers seem to notice me. The lights On picture is not showing inside the beam patterns, that is from a standing position about 15ft in front of the bike.

Not sure why 2 of the the pictures turned sideways when I posted them, they were upright on my computer.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
You’ve got a good setup on your bike. What is it screwed onto under the crash bars?

It looks nice and solid.
The mounting bolt for the lights is threaded into the existing hole in the crash bar that the highway pegs thread into from the bottom. If you don't have the highway pegs, then the hole should be empty (threaded 3/8" NC) and there won't be any problems threading a bolt in there without any modifications at all. of you have highway pegs, you may have to grind down the end of the shoulder bolts a bit to have sufficient thread to bolt both the light and the highway pegs into.

Personally I find that I never use the highway pegs anyway, I have floorboards in place of the pegs and I can move my feet around a bit, and sometimes just stand up to stretch my legs while riding, or just stand up both feet when I stop at a corner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts